Thursday, May 17

Sunset

When I started in this school where art plays an important part of the teaching curriculum, I was amazed how creative the staff were. From the head of the school to the teachers and the assistant teachers, each and every one contributes to showcase a magnificent array of art and paintings every year that children and teachers collaborate on.

We auction out the artworks to parents to support two hill tribes that our families of schools support. My first year was absolutely fabulous as one parent from another class came and bid on almost all the artworks and taking home one fine piece for 10,000 baht, a feat to beat since silent auctions started in school.

For the next seven years nothing had beaten the record as each and every artworks went within the price range of 250 baht up to seven to eight thousand the most, until recently. This year, a very generous parent bid on an artwork for 10 thousand matching the previous record, and I was very surprised. The art was from the youngest class in our school and it was a pretty one. As I told my assistant that our record is now matched, I was a bit disappointed.

However, during the actual bidding day, final bids were placed at the last minute and when they were posted for collection, I was aghast and couldn't believe that a mom actually got one of my class artworks for twenty thousand baht (650USD). The mom herself made history in school.

The art work was a study of light and shadow using houses and other structures as foreground. The background turned so well when three to four different hues were painted on the canvas making a blast of orange yellowish hues to create sunset. It turned to be one of the most difficult art work ever in terms of colour separation and combination. But the end result was a much worth product. When great minds get together, we produce one equally great art.


My heartfelt thanks goes to the Rust family. Thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment