Monday, May 28

The Sneetches

The Sneetches is one of the most interesting children's book in my collection. I recently re-read the book and pondered once again on its meaning which is so timeless. Bigotry, racism, political divide and class segregation were tackled effortlessly in such a classic book written in 1961.


The Star-bellied Sneetches think that they are the creme of the crop, the bold and the beautiful, the elite and impressionistas.  The Plain-bellied Sneetches are the regular guys and gals, the one who work harder to be recognized if ever, the introverts or the castaways. Sylvester Mc Monkey-Mc Bean is the enterprenuer who offered both parties access to acceptance, gaining opulence for his tricky endeavour to change a star bellied one to a plain one and vice-versa.


I wanted to be a Star-bellied Sneetch so that I could belong. I wanted to be up there in a pedestal, enjoying life as some people do, living each page of their book as chapters filled with fairy tale characters. It is an enviable state. But I am just a Plain-bellied Sneetch whose day to day existence is marked by hard work, challenges and discrimination. I am but poor.


I never have a BB or an iPhone nor had acquired new gadgets that flood the market. I have some luxuries at home such as a television set or a desktop computer to which to blog my superficial complaints in life. I wish for some but I have more pressing problems than chit chatting with Siri or letting people know my whereabouts. 


When I wear a cheap watch, does it mean I am poor and of no material asset? When I dress down, does it show my inability to be fashion conscious? When I am Asian, does it mean I am a second class citizen? No! It means that I value a watch for its ability to tell time, I appreciate wearing comfortable clothes, and that I am a worthy person whose value as a teacher is well respected and accepted.


So for those who see material gain as a parameter for success, I let you. For those who think that decking myself with gold is a way to gain respect, then let it be. For I am going to die Plain-bellied but contented, who had lived partly as a Star-bellied Sneetch, all because of my own sacrifices. 


All on my own, from birth to death.



No comments:

Post a Comment