Tuesday, May 8

Families

As I was being sent off by the father of one of the students I teach, I told him that I am willing to stop if they don't need me anymore since I had been teaching the children during the weekends for many years now. He mentioned that he wanted the children to practise speaking so I kept silent and dismissed my suggestion.


I remember when I first started with this local family many years ago, I was offered drinks and cake for snacks and I partook such delight with my student after our session. As years passed, and even with the last few years, I was not even offered a glass of water, I have to ask. I started bringing mine so as not to bother their maid but in all honesty, I feel their hostile treatment whenever I am there. There was even one time when it was my student's birthday and they will have a party afterwards so food and drinks were aplenty, I wasn't offered any.


This is because I had been doing tutorials with them for many years that the treatment becomes more mechanical rather than warm. I go there, teach and go. With this kind of situation, I cannot help but compare them with the rest of the children I teach where the dads are very approachable, the moms very accommodating, and the maids very polite and well-mannered.


The families I teach are different in many ways. While some regards me only as a paid tutor to their children, others show me that I am their family member as well. For now, I offered my resignation, it is up to them to accept or reject as I also vow to expect nothing from them but their money and this has never been my goal in teaching.


I wrote this entry because I remember a family who had been so good to me ever since. I do miss the Kitcharoenwong family a lot and will forever be thankful for their kindness and generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment