Monday, November 18

Loy Kratong, a Festivitiy

Wat Bua Kuan (Bua Kuan Temple)
Last night, I witnessed one of the most beloved celebration in Thailand that I find inviting, baffling, and spiritually uplifting. It is called Loy Kratong, which is literally translated as floating a kratong, a slice of a banana trunk decorated with incense sticks, candles, and flowers.

A typical Kratong

Floating kratongs
I say I find the celebration inviting because the Thai people are all in the spirit of celebrating the festivity starting at six in the evening and the merry making ends until midnight. I find it baffling because I was told that the offering of the kratong is for the water diety wherein the offering is made as a sign of being grateful for the water source. It was perplexing because by floating kratongs, we actually make the water dirty. 

A family floating a lamp

Shine bright like a diamond

However, it was spiritually uplifting because I saw how Thai families gather together to celebrate as they line up to floats their kratongs or when they hold the floating lamp as they release them in the air. Wishes of good fortune to come and getting rid of the bad spirits are tied up to this celebration.

The only temple I have seen with an escalator.

35 baht as offering for the construction of a new temple.
And as I floated my kratong last night, I gave my prayer of thanks for nature's gift but also asked not of excess but moderation in turn of nature's fury. I hope for cleansing, not destruction and for faith restored, not questioning.

19 comments:

  1. ang cute ng mga floating kembots... gusto ko rin maexperience na magpalipad ng floting lamp... parang exiting sya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kailan ka ba nandito nang makapasyal ka and witness some floating kembots, ha,ha,ha. Paki sabihan po ako ng ma meet naman kita ng personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've visited a lot of blogs from that country and they have a lot of celebrations i may say. anyway that us such a lovely event parang ang solemn ng effect ng stuff na ginamet

    ReplyDelete
  4. naku jonathan matagal pa next year october pa ang plano ko na pumunta dyan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thailand, another country with a rich culture. Kasama yan sa list ko. Maybe next year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. MeCoy,

    There are indeed many celebrations in here and two of the best are celebrated during November and April.
    It has traces of Hinduism and Buddhism combined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww... very rich din talaga ang culture at sa mga festivities ang Thailand.

    Nakita ko na yang Loi Krathong sa isang documentary ng GMA7, sa I-witness yata yun ni Kara David or ni Sandra Aguinaldo. Nagpaanod din sila ng ganyan sa ilog with matching dasal.

    Natuwa din ako sa Sky Lanterns (Khom Loi) tuwing New Year lng ako nakakakita ng ganyan dito :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Geosef,

    Sama na kayo ni Rix, sa October daw siya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aba si Fiel, alam ang tawag sa floating lamps or sky lanterns. Para kang si wikipedia, ha,ha,ha. Punta ka na din dito para marami kayo, he,he,he.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarap maka-witness ng mga ganitong kakaibang tradition, mga makukulay na simbolo ng pag-alaala...lalo na kapag kasama ang family at mga mahal sa buhay. Spiritually uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gusto ko din makawitness ng ganto, pero sisimulan ko muna siguro sa mga local festivals sa pilipinas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. huhuhu..di pala nagpost yung una kong comment :(

    sana pag bumisita ako ng thailand, may ganitong festival...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Olivr,

    Go around the Philippines first. We have so many festivals as well. I only visited the major ones but still have so many in my bucket list. Travel lang hanggang kaya!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Ric,

    Nakaka miss nga lang ang sariling pamilya when I saw the camaraderie between family members and friends. Inggit lang. Anyway, I am always a believer that I will be home one day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ayan tatlo na kayo cher kat, but October, wala siyang festivities. Best months- April (Water Festival); August (Queen's birthday), November (Loy Kratong), December (King's birthday)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting to see how they celebrate the event and you being one with them.
    I like your wishes and may they all come through.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish for this world and not just for myself. I wanted to live a life of comfort so I wish that for all. Thanks for the visit Ms. Joy.

    ReplyDelete