Monday, July 21

Bonsai and My Family

When it first came to my house,


"We would like to give this to you as a present." a mom told me a year ago when I visited them in their home. It was a lovely bonsai tree and a red lantern hanging to commemorate both my birthday and the Chinese New Year last year. I was sent by the driver as the pot was heavy. It remained at the entrance of my house until I moved it as the centerpiece in front of the  garden. 

now displayed in front of the garden.
When I visited my students once again, I noticed that the bonsai tree that used to descend its branches and with its leaves so green had turned into brown and left with no leaves. It died as the family left for a vacation with no one to take care of it. It was heartbreaking because a tree that majestic was a product of care and dedication of the gardener who tended it.

Relationships are like tending the garden. The seeds that we buy or the plantlets we purchase from stores or garden shops are then grown in pots or on the ground. In the beginning, we visit the plant to see if it is growing or not, if it needed better care. But later as we become preoccupied with other things, we take the plant for granted. We let the plant grow by itself but without the proper nutrients, it will eventually wither and die. 

My relationship with my family could be like the bonsai tree of my student. It was admirable at first. However, with the absence of my mom and then our constant rantings and bickering, we could eventually fall off like leaves, dried and crushed to the ground. Our branches might no longer cascade but will droop owing to our animosity. The colouration will turn blackish instead of its robust brown caused by harsh words and blaming.

So even I am quite distant location-wise, I make sure that I still see my family once or twice a year. I still want to see them. Finding time to connect with them through e-mails or chats bridge us together but seeing them in person is much more personal. Our relationship is no longer as strong but we could all work it out by doing our parts to make it vigorous again. The thought of 'my family is the only one I have' could be my prevailing mantra in life.

I will be home for a few days and hopefully, renewing friendships and relationships. I do find going home taxing but it is a period of understanding and heartfelt listening. It will be good. It will be good.

10 comments:

  1. I hope this won't happen to me and my siblings. I think our relationship with each other is good enough to prevent that once our parents are gone. :)

    Have a safe trip, Cher Jo. I'm looking forward to see you again. I hope you'll have some time for us too. No pressure though. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sep, working on it, the relationship I mean.

    To see you or not, that's the big question. It will be a busy trip so let me find a day I am in Manila for a meet. Looking forward to see you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have struggles with our sibs big and smaĺ, in the end, we decide to stick with each other coz blood will alwayd be thicker than water.

    When are you here? I hope I can be around. Ill be in Bicol for the next four days.... Have a safe trip! Mwuahugzz!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything needs to be taken cared of. Our body. Our properties. Our garden. Our environment. But, I think, we most take care of relationships more. What will happen to all of us if we don't take care of each other?

    Enjoy your time with the whole family, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Cher Kat,

    True! And they are the only people we could call our own. Have a safe trip to Bicol. I hope to see you and Sepsep before I go back 'home'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ms. Lili,

    Very well said and what' good is that when everyone is willing to help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gusto ko ng bonsai. Namangha ako sa tanim na bonsai ng kawork ko sa pangasinan... puno ng sampaloc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Rix,

    Mahal nga lang ang bonsai. Gusto ko ngang matutong mag train ng halaman para sideline pero oks yung sa friend mo, sampaloc tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sir! are you now in the Philippines? :D curious lng po hehe
    I love bonsai because it reminds me of a very special lesson. This is a very good read Sir, you know our family isn't also that good, sometimes I think we're dysfunctional but it doesn't made me love them less.
    Nalulungkot ako at natatawa when I read this post because it also reminds me of a stupid thing I did for love. Binigyan ko ng Bonsai ang crush ko pero prang ayaw namn ata niya :( so sad coz he didn't even tell me something about it.
    Ang stupid ng tingin ko sa sarili ko. hayyzz..
    anyway it reminds me of a poem in the same title "Bonsai", it was written by Edith Tiempo and it's one of my favorite poems fromk a Filipino writer!

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cristine,

    I was in Manila for three days and then I left for Tokyo. Will be in taipei next and then Manila on August 3 for two more days and back to Thailand.

    Pag iniregalo mo ang halaman at namatay, hindi pa handa ang partner mo for responsibilites. This is the same as having pets. Binigyan mo ng Bonsai ang crush mo and this doesn't mean you look stupid. Mahal kaya ang bonsai. The one in. Y student's house was worth more than 400usd tapos namatay lang, wawa naman.

    I will look for that poem, thanks for sharing that info.

    ReplyDelete