Friday, July 11

Tour Guide, Not!

When I went to Palawan two years ago, I never thought I will act as a translator when I ended up with a group of Taiwanese people. It was an emergency and the guide couldn't explain to them what to do. He looked at me and said, "Your last name is Chinese, isn't it?" "Yes and so?" And there you go.

Last week, I had the chance to meet friends of my cousin and she gave my name to help her friend find things for her in Thailand. I did, not because I owe my cousin something, but because I am a good- hearted person. (insert lightning and thunderstorm) What I didn't know was that I am going to tour not one, or two, or three people around, but 19. 

NINETEEN! I screamed at my cousin when I was chatting to her through the phone. There goes my kind hearted persona down the drain. Their biggest concern was transportation and they do not like to be separated from one another. The only solution to that was a bus but where do I find a bus, a free one to help them out?

Anyway, highway, to cut the story short. We needed three vans to pick them up at the airport to the hotel. Done! I scouted the hotel before they came here to see whether there was a market, food stalls, convenience stores, and the like. All set! So when I met them at the hotel to bring them to the Night Market, I was the boy scout guide with arms flailing around, pointing here, pointing there!

My student was kind enough to lend me her van so I was able to subtract six people from the group. There were 14 of us left and the only transportation aside from a cab was the Subaru pickup that can only ride 10 people, ten skinny people. I asked the driver if all of us can get in and surely we pushed each other, sat on top of each other, and left the terminal at a turtle pace. 


The Subaru pickup is similar to this but the door is at the side.

Slow, slower, slowest, and I do feel the Subaru truck was saying, "What did I do wrong?" While inside, it was a fiesta of photo flashes, selfies, groupies and the like. It was the funniest ride ever! And when they started to introduce themselves to me in those awkward positions, it was hilarious and I didn't remember any of their names.

These nineteen people are part of a church mission and along with the generosity of the members based in Taiwan, they collected numerous material and monetary donations to give to Bamboo School in Kanchanaburi. They went there to do a week of service and will be back this weekend. 

While I am having a difficult time dealing with people around me at this time, these young people who volunteered their time and effort to be with children gave me something to look forward to. They were nice, well-mannered and filled with positivities. So I said to myself, "God is good. ."

16 comments:

  1. I'm always willing to be a tour guide for a day, even if it's for free. I was once a tour guide for the University of the Philippines Singing Ambassadors when they had a concert here in Florence.

    It's always a chance to show the beauty of my Florence.

    As long as mabait at hindi nakakabad trip ang mga tourists.

    Better kung magbibigay ng extras like tips or something. hahaha!

    Pero ok naman pala yang nagawa mo. You're actually good at organizing it. Biro mo, siksikan na nakapag selfie pa kayo? Saan ka makakakuha ng mga ganoong klaseng sasakyan? hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naiimagine ko ang siksikan tapos nagse-selfie... hahaha kainaman, makapg selfie lang... pero yon ang nakakapag pasaya eh

    I tour mo din ako dyan!!!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to have the same opportunity. It's always nice to interact with people of another culture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mr. Tripster,

    I do enjoy touring people as well as long as they appreciate the places we visit. One friend came once and he was complaining every little steps do we are no longer friends. Tonight I will be having a dinner cruise with all 19 so time to speak in many languages again.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mar,

    Sure, sabihan mo ako in advance since I work everyday including Sundays. And when I go there, ikaw naman ang guide ko. Exchange services.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Sep,

    Sana nandito ka so you could meet them. They are from different countries so you will surely enjoy their company and learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NINETEEN! hehe, mabuti naman sir at na-keri mo silang lahat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nakakatuwa naman, would love to do the same thing again pero with diff race naman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhaha lol grabe naman yang experience mo Jonathan! pero ang ganda rin ng experience mo. I think that's a very special one,a very good feeling to help others. Cool ha!
    pa tour guide rin ako sa'yo pagpupunta ako ng Palawan hehhe <3

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ jep,

    Mahirap! Naranasan mo na bang mag school trip at halos kada trenta minutos eh nagbibilang ka ng tao, ganuon yun. At lahat sila kumakain na samantalang ako eh naglalakad pa to make sure they ordered correctly or if they are having difficulty with translations. But it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ June,

    With your travels around the Philippines, you could do so. When I went to Palawan, I was with people from Australia, Germany and Taiwan. Fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Tin,

    I have a very good friend based right now in Coron so if you need someone to tour you around, puwede siya, vinolunteer eh! Hahaha!

    I have no idea when I will be in Palawan next but just in case you needed someone to show you around Bangkok, will do so. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iniimagine ko, mukha na kayong sardinas sa loob nung van XD

    It's a good thing, marunong ka din mag-chinese sir Jo :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK yan para mahasa ang talento mo sa pagto-tour guide. Malay mo maraming pang dumating. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @fiel,

    Sardinas na sardinas and labas namin. I was telling myself I could be in the van, new and comfy, but the Subaru ride was most fun. Besides, we had a lot of laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Ish,

    Oo nga, kailangan ng Thailand ng turista at gawin ko na ring sideline ito, ha,ha,ha.

    ReplyDelete