Tuesday, November 11

Worth the Visit, Wat Pha Sorn Kaew

A must see when one visits Petchabun is this ginormous house of worship called Wat Pha Sorn Kaew. The name means 'temple on a high glass cliff". According to reviews, this place is surely one of the best, if not the best temple in Thailand. With its great architecture and design, this stands out among the rest I have seen so far.



Walking up through the pathway in a mountainous environment, I was still far from the real thing when I spotted this and zoomed in my camera. First word that came to my mouth was, "Astounding!"




The Main Hall

The facade of the main hall is simply incredible to see. The temple is very distinctive and beautiful. The place is relatively unknown to most people and inaccessible because of the lack of infrastructure and public transportation. As of now, it can be reached by private cars and tour vans.

Roof tops of  surrounding buildings.

All imposing!

Top of the main pagoda

Tiles and pottery pieces

The temple was like a huge mosaic artwork decorated with broken pieces of ceramic dishes of brilliant colours and pottery items. Unlike the typical temples of red and gold colours, the design stands out for its eccentricity yet harmonious with traditional Thai and architectural representations found elsewhere. 

5 Sitting Buddha Statues

But the highlight of the entire visit was to see the vast scenic view from atop the main pagoda. It was very windy and no selfies can be made because my hair kept on flying but the mere fact I stood there in awe, and in amazement simply defines what men can accomplish through will power and faith. 

A feast to behold, spectacular!
Wat Pha Sorn Kaew is a sacred religious site and my faith to both men and God became stronger with this blessed visit. Have a great day!

9 comments:

  1. So beautiful, Jon. Love the architecture. Love the mosaics. So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gasp!
    You're right in saying this stands out among the rest that you have seen because this stands out among the rest that I have read here.

    It's so magnificently-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were to become a minor gos, this temple will do for me. Hehehe! I like the mosaic...

    Sir, tanong lang. Puro mga travels ang posts mo. Do you ever go to work at all? Hahaha! Biro lang!

    ReplyDelete
  4. now im intrigued with the fact that it's at a cliff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ms. Lili,

    An artist's dream, and I was inspired too what with the way they used broken pieces of dishes and potteries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ms. Balut,

    So waking up at three in the morning to write and visit my blog makes it worth the wait eh, ha,ha,ha. This is probably the best amongst all the places I had featured before. Once on top, it's breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Mr. Tripster,

    Just like you, I like to go around places. Since given some breaks during the school year, I go on adventures where less people dare visit. I have another trip coming up, he,he,he. I hope to see you this January though, in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Oliver,

    I wonder how they moved all those rocks and dirt and made them flat so they could build this enormous place of worship. There was a temple I visited in China where the temple was built protruding out from a cliff. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow grabe, napaka intricate ng designs nung Pagoda :)

    ReplyDelete