Thursday, January 29

Nine Lives

Many years ago, I attended a three day workshop in a nearby province and I was on my own. On the night I arrived, I ended in an accident as the motorbike I was riding collided with another one. Both motorcycle drivers were fine but I wasn't. I sprained one of my foot as well as receiving bruises all over. 

When I was lying on the ground, someone came to me and told me he was willing to send me to the hospital if I pay him two hundred baht. I agreed because I have no other way to pick myself up to go to the hospital. I was bleeding and I couldn't stand up. It was saddening that a man came not to offer assistance but to pry on helpless people by asking money in exchange for a ride to the hospital. I was in a cast for a month. 

Three weeks ago, I was involved once again in a motorcycle accident. This time, I was the one driving. I wasn't able to pull the brake levers on time to stop for a crossing cat so I fell sideways on the ground. The things I bought from the market went splattering on the street along with my purse and phone. 

There were cars passing and a couple of motorcycles came but none stopped to help. To my right, I could hear some people playing basketball since it happened adjacent to a court but none came running to even care. In the middle of the street, I cried for I cannot stand up but I summoned my strength and told myself that being weak was not the solution to my dilemma at that time. I needed to be strong.

I drove myself home with blood and bruises while feeling pain on both hands and fingers. I hailed a cab via phone, sent myself to the hospital and was treated for my minor injuries. I arrived home feeling numb in both hands and pain on the right side of my body and leg. It was a minor accident and I was a lucky chap. 

I was hit by a school bus when I was six, fell down from a tree when I was twelve, bumped my head in two different occasions and received stitches on my forehead, thrown from an elephant in one of my trips, gone through a laparoscopic surgery with no one around to take care of me, and so on. I am still alive and I learned that most people are not kind nor caring. It might be different if I was a movie star or someone wealthy but I am not. Nevertheless, these unfortunate events made me aware of my safety. It also made me think that I might be a cat. With nine lives, I get to live and tell my stories. 

13 comments:

  1. I dont know what to say but I chuckled upon reading the last part of your post.

    I guess you are alive because your stories deserve to be heard. To be read. To be known :)

    Living alone has its advantages and disadvantages. I agree with you when you said that we get to be soooo cautious and safety-conscious.

    One tablet of Biogesic for you! Ingat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Biogesic, gulp! I know how hard it is to be living alone so we still need to make new friends and build friendship wherever we go. Some may be around to help and most might be gone even before we asked for help. We just need to be stronger, to have faith, and pray. Have a great weekend Cher Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jonathan, greetings and good wishes.

    No doubt you have nine lives like a cat after so many accidents. I believe you have a purpose in life and that is why your life has been spared so many times.

    Your comment that most people are not kind and caring is certainly true.

    Here is a case of kind people.
    I was riding my Bullet motorcycle on a hot afternoon. I was behind a truck carrying sugarcane to a nearby factory. Suddenly, the truck braked for some reason and I hit the sugar cane load protruding behind and fell on the road and became unconscious. I don't know how long I was lying on the road in the hot sun but I woke up a start with soda water falling on my face. I saw a gathering of villager looking worriedly at me. In the meanwhile the truck had already gone. I wonder If the truck driver knew that I had crashed against his truck due to sudden braking.

    The villagers helped me to sit up . They carried me and helped me to lie down on a coir cot in the shade of a tree. I found my white shirt full of blood on account of a deep cut on my chin. After some time one villager who knew how to ride my bile took me to a near by hospital and helped me to get my wound stitched.
    I thanked the villager profusely and rode my bike to the nearby town, bought a new shirt and went riding to my destination.

    If not for these simple good samaritans I would have been in great stress and trouble.

    Here is another case which I would say is very despicable.

    A lady friend, riding pillion with her cousin on a night, was thrown off the bike on account of skidding and both of them fell in a ditch. Her head was injured and she was bleeding and she was unconscious. A man walked by and her cousin who was conscious called out to him for help. The man came to the ditch, looked at both of them and quietly took away the gold chain and bangles she was wearing and started walking away. He ignored the pleading cries of her cousin.
    They were lying in the ditch till next morning when a passing cab driver took pity on them and took them to the hospital.

    I have been saved many times in my life, once from drowning, once from a truck driving over me and once from breaking my back when I fell in slimy bathroom in a hotel.

    Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Joseph and thank you for your sharings. I felt bad reading what had happened to you and happy as well since you survived them like a cat.

    I do have my nice stories as well but nowadays, there are less who would help since they themselves cannot help themselves, literally. I had been a good person, I think, and had helped a lot of people but this does not mean that I will continue be blessed by caring people. Bad things happen to me because I need to wake up and realized other things.

    These accounts I shared can be selfish since I see it in my own perspective but because I wanted to share what I felt, thus the posting. I still believe though that there are still a lot of people who are good, whether I know them or not. Maybe one day, I will be surprised by another act of a good samaritan and my faith to mankind will be back again.

    All the best to you Joseph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMg Sir! what happened to you was so scary! I haven't been involved with any accident like that and I thank God for it. I feel great that you are doing good and fine now Sir! You are really a strong man!There must be a reason why you had such kind of events in your life. God know you have stories and inspiration to share.
    Take care po always Sir!

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post.
    Very interesting.
    Always take care ! What I feel is that you need to be extra careful :)
    Well...your guardian angels gave you strength to tackle all those difficult situations; forget about the human help, what matters is God's blessings and you have that !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cristine,

    It is more of a realization that I am not super human. That i will fall, but I can stand up. That I will meet defeat, but i can survive. Life's ups and downs are intricate so when things like these happen, I think of it as experiences where I can learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another realization from Rajiv. Yes, God is always there and He is always going to protect us from harm. All we need is faith!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The world we are currently living in have already become a sad one, Cher Jo. Nasa atin na lamang kung saan o kanino tayo kukuha ng kaligayahan to make that grim fact more manageable to accept and to live by. Some people will make you lose your faith in humanity, while others will help you restore it. If there are villains in your life, then there will always be heroes. Cheer up, Cher Jo!

    Anyway, lapitin ka pala ng aksidente. Tripleng ingat please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello sep,

    If there are villains in your life, then there will always be heroes. Galing, galing. Then let me recall the heroes as I wanted to get rid of the villains.

    I have not given up with kindness among people but I had lessen my expectations. Not everyone, including friends will be there to support us all the time.

    Yes, lapitin ako ng aksidente, sana, pera na lang, lol! Ikaw din naman, lapitin, ...he,he,he

    ReplyDelete
  11. ako kaya ilang buhay kaya meron ako lolz.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ang tanong Rix eh ilang buhay na lang ang natitira, parang video game lang yan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If sa Philippines pa yan everyone would huddle up and help you.

    ReplyDelete