Tuesday, January 13

People Focus Two: Vlad

If there is an epitome of friendship, then my friend Vlad's friendship is one of them. We met at a church function and became part of a group of Filipino scholars studying in Thailand. 

He spoke in a gentle manner whilst all-knowing about the affairs of the world. He was into politics and until now, he is. 

He is my complete opposite. While I am shy and introverted, he is the sociable and all friendly kind of person. While I allow myself to disappear in a crowd, he is the one that stands out.

I remember spending birthdays together since we were born on the same month. We would visit our doctor friends and have simple get togethers at their university's laboratory. Our weekly eating spree by the sidewalks were always fun and germ-filled. We even embarked on trips to Kanchanaburi and Chiang Mai spending the little money we had to buy matching vests. We even visited a zoo dressed in our office garments. It wasn't  the expenses or the tight budget, it was the growing friendship that was most invaluable.


Vlad and I had petty arguments regarding friendships and there had been bouts of jealousy since we were all immature at that time. But with all these differing opinions, our friendship was made stronger. 

Vlad molded me in many ways. He is God loving and God fearing and his devotion to the Lord is overpowering. He guided me in my daily devotion. He showed me how to be a good friend. He exposed me to diligence as he is very scholarly. Knowing some years ago that he was finishing his graduate studies in Taiwan and later on learning that he was at Harvard University, what a feat!  

Vlad taught me valuable lessons about friendship. His admirable traits are deeply missed. And for almost sixteen years of not seeing him, I miss him big time. 

Happy birthday buddy!

11 comments:

  1. Maligayang Kaarawan Vlad! :)
    (feeling friendship din si Vlad hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think to create and have a wonderful friendship with anyone, it must experience disagreements and conflicts. Sometimes, may mga cold shoulders and non-speaking terms pa na umaabot for months to years. But at the end, you'd still be very good friends even with the distance.

    Hello, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking from experience Ms. Lili and I agree with everything. Also friends might not been talking for years and when they see each other, it looks like they were just together the day before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats the completion of my birthday this year. grace of Jesus comes in many forms. this is one form that I will not trade. thanks again Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww..this is very inspiring Sir! Reminds me of my best friend too..we're a total opposite also but it's a wonder how we get along...We also share birthdays as we were born on the same month. You are lucky to have Vlad Sir!
    cheers for the friendship!!!

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this do a "weekly eating spree by the sidewalks that is fun and dun and germ-filled" :)

    Happy Birthday Vlad!

    'Missed a lot of fun stories here my friend. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Cristine,

    If I am lucky, he is luckier, ha,ha,ha. I thought that good friends should always be doing the same things but no, there should be some differences to create a balance. Kudos to you and your bff and more power!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. Balut!

    Miss you too! We were not afraid to eat along the sidewalk because we have doctors with us. As one of them said, "as long as they were cooked in fire, we are ok."

    Please come and visit again. After your 2014 challenge, you stopped writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! i hope you meet jim again. do you have a contact though in fb?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ms. Joy, he found me in FB and we had been in contact for some time now. We have not seen each other though so hopefully this year, wherever we may end up meeting.

    ReplyDelete