Thursday, March 5

Older Friendships

While I was seated on a beach chair waiting for the sunset, I noticed a few teens waiting in excitement as they strapped themselves with life jackets. They were to go on a banana boat ride. I stood up and took a photo of them and although their faces were blurred by the sun and the water, I knew that they were very ecstatic to ride and bump along the waves of the sea. I have never done this.

A joyous group on a banana boat ride.

When I saw a movie recently about a team of volleyball players who grouped themselves to compete in a national volleyball contest, I was studying the characters in every angle. I wanted to find out which character am I going to play. The friendship built in the story was so strong that I reflected to myself as to what kind of friend I am. I long for great and reliable friendships.

When I was in high school or even in the university, I had a responsibility to open and manage our video store so I was home right after classes. When my friends would gather together for drinks or spend some more time to chit chat at the university's garden, I was needed home. I learned management skills and a lot more by doing the family business but I was shunned of invitations as my friends knew I was always busy. I still am but I can find the time. 

There are certainly a hundred of other things that I missed when I was younger and a lot more that I wanted to do some time ago. So when I sit down at the cafe right now thinking why I am not doing more, the answer is simple, I wanted to do things with friends. 

Seen at a beach, captured a lot of memories way back.

I have done a lot of traveling by myself and learned to fend myself throughout my life away from home. It was always a one man show, a one man effort, and a solitary journey. If only a choice can be presented, I will choose to be with friends rather than earning more. I miss my old friends a lot and how I wish I can be there when they also celebrate their lives. 

18 comments:

  1. Maybe you can still find time to do those things. Having friends and being with them is priceless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had you been here near, I guess we can do a lot of stuff together and organize feeding programs, storytelling and all! Would love to hangout with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sana makita mo ulit ang iyong mga kaibigan, miss na miss ka na rin nila for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure pawang mga bigatin at professionals na rin tulad mo ang mga friends mo sir Jo ^_^

    Haayssstt... friends they come and go. Yung isang bestfriend ko dati, wala na akong balita. Yun kasama ko palagi dati sa galaan lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Froi and welcome to my humble home. Yes, I do realize the importance of friendship and renewing old ones thus the post. I am excited to do some things with them but I am more thinking about things that I regret not doing when I was much younger. Falling in love for one or pursuing my dream as a stage actor.

    There are also small things I have not done and probably if I get together with bloggers, I will get to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sir Jo. Naririnig lang kita kay Yccos, but I've been reading your posts dati pa.

      Get together with other bloggers? That would be fun! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Cher Kat, nganga na lang with all those interesting activities offered in manila such as what you mentioned. I have no time in here but maybe if I settle myself in Manila with a decent living or business, I will do what I missed.

    Oo nga, kung malapit lang tayo sa isa't isa, feeding programs and teaching in orphanages would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jep,

    Oo nga. I do remember my university friends but I just do not know if they remember me, lol! I searched through FB but to no avail. Anyways, my high school buddies are still around and we are already planning of doing some great things together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oo nga Fiel, bigatin na sila, tumaba na kaming lahat. Most of them are professionals and wealthy at this time, ako na lang ang naiwan. Ang gustong kong gawin right now are those I missed. Maybe parachuting, scuba diving, or the most simple of them all, a small get together of games and food plus karaoke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww this is so inspiring Sir! Again!
    I'm actually the kind of person that most people would describe as "difficult/complicated". But somehow, wherever I am, I always find myself in a group of friends. That surprises me actually. I had so many friends Sir but some of the friendships I have, have to end. Such a tragedy but I always believe that I would rather be alone than to be with someone who isn't real/true. As I get older, one of the things that I realized especially after graduating in school is that I don't really need so many friends. Still it is true that so many things in life get better with friends. I just want to make sure they are the right friends to hang out with. You know I'm your friend too Sir,so you can always talk to me if you want to ehehhehe

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Cristine,

    This is probably one of your longest comments and i do appreciate the kind words plus the essence of your thoughts and feelings. We learn as we grow and when we reach the point where we see true friends as to keep, then we slow down in making new ones. However, those who stayed will not be there forever so we make newer ones but very selective in the process.

    My former friends are still around though we are based in different countries and living different lives. My blogging life is different. I made new friends through mutual commenting and I made a choice to chose which ones I will be keeping. It is difficult to maintain friendship since i am far away from the rest but I know they will be there when I needed them. This reminds me of the song, You Got a Friend. Thanks for being one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Froi,

    Thank you for coming back to reply to my comment. When I visited other blogs and made friends with some, I decided to limit my visits to others to pursue quality over quantity and I enjoy their company via comments. A blogger meet visiting places around the Philippines would be good. Will add you in my reading list. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right now im compensating that thing that I didn't do when I was in high school and college.

    Yun nga lang minsan yung iba magastos lolz

    ReplyDelete
  13. you have the time of you life:) I never imagined that we have the same childhood lol...most of my time highschl and college were spent with our grocery busness..so I need to go home after class:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, friends are really cool, true friends, that is.
    Childhood friends are wonderful, for most of us. It is pure friendship during that time, no selfish interests...
    Good post, buddy...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Magastos siyempre Rix kasi we went beyond what we were doing when we were mere students. Since nag wo work naman lahat, kkb na lang, the best part is magkakasama pa rin ang lahat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a feeling Sunny Toast that you came from a Chinese family. Or could it be that your family is business minded and they wanted to instill in you, at a very early age, how to work hard. I do not really have the time todo things and if I do, I wanted to do them with older friends, thus the post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rajiv, true friends will always be there even with long distances and long absence in communication. But there are only very few. I still remember my childhood friends and I did have a great time with them.

    ReplyDelete