Monday, September 28

A Great Start!

It was a busy Tuesday and prior to this day, I was in school even if it was a holiday for us.  I was doing some cutting, preparing materials and printing boards and toppers.  I was scouting for natural materials and open ended ones for the different centres in the classroom. It was going to be our Parent Evening Meeting!

And on that day, I prepared all the tables and centres to showcase the varied activities we do in school along with how learning takes place at each centre. They were meticulously arranged according to how I envisioned the class and how each centre complimented each other.  It was a marvelous set-up!

The Light Atelier

The Light Table

The Clay Table

The Numeracy Centre
The parents came and they were greeted with wine and hors d'oeuvre.  As they walked around looking at the many interesting things, I was engaging them in small talks about their child or how students cooperatively work and play at each area of the room.  I can see the approvals in their smiles and faces.

When I finished a small talk about the ongoing project for this school year, I asked the parents if there have any questions for clarifications. There was dead silence and after a few minutes or so,  a voice from my right shared something and asked me this question.

Mum: "I am wondering why my child always look forward to coming to school and always telling me that he will be missed if he is late or absent in school.  He also tells me that he loves you. My question is why do you think the children loves you so much?" 

All eyes were on me and I smiled.

12 comments:

  1. I wish your school is near so I can visit you and be a teacher assistant for free!!! hohohoho...

    I tried learning centers in my class before but since they are a big population in class, nothing lasts forever. LOL. But we did have a library and board games that they can pull out every now and then.

    If you were my teacher and I get to come to the classroom with an amazing set up just like this every day and all the suprises that you can pull off, I wont really ever wanna miss any class! So much love and effort put for every corner <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning centres can also work in big groups as long as most of them are independent in nature. I usually sit in one of the centres because I am teaching a concept. The rest are independent and only needed some supervision when children are lost.

    A lot of people had already asked me if they could be my assistant. Even old time teachers who had seen me ask for the same thing.

    Thank you fo this wonderful comments. I noticed that teachers will comment on this post because you can all relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how simple things at school turn extraordinary with your touch sir Jo.
    Siguro pag estudyante mo ako, magiging artist ako. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ang galing naman Sir Jo!

    Happy Teachers' Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...parang naimagine ko yung moment na yun... then naisip ko para syang perfect ending ng isang series o story tungkol sa isang teacher hehe

    sana pag naging teacher ako balang araw ganyan din ako maappreciate ng students ko ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Froi,

    It takes experience to do that. Ang pagkaalam ko, lahat ng naging estudyante ko eh naging magaling sa Mathematics at Art. Most of them play music as well since I was told they see me play the piano in class. In a way, these small things make me feel alive as a teacher.

    I can teach you art, arte artehan, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sir Ambot,

    Thank you. Happy Teacher's Day din sa iyo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Blue,

    Napaisip tuloy ako, para ngang ending ng isang pelikula, ha,ha,ha. Ano naman kaya ang title ng movie na ito? Ang Talambuhay ni Cher Jo?

    Sige pag naging teacher ka, mag sit in ako sa klase mo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your set up is so creative and nice. I would love you to be my teacher too.
    I never enjoyed my 11 years of school life in Malaysia until I went to US.
    The American lecturers were more friendly and generous like you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sir Twilight,

    I have not been so overwhelmed until I started teaching in international schools. The setting is entriely different as well as being exposed to so many philosophies. We are Reggio inspired with teachers from all over the world, in one way, this makes us unique.

    ReplyDelete