Friday, September 25

My Weekend Getaway

A lot of beautiful places are to be visited around Thailand but one of the nearest would be a beach called Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan province. I have been to this place many times but it is always customary that I go beyond the touristy trails thus visiting Thap Tai and Nong Kae. Thus, this side of Hua Hin is something new. 

Almost three hours away from the city of Bangkok, Hua Hin have been a favourite among the many Thais because of its waters, food and serene sceneries.

Hua Hin Beach

Beautiful Skyline

A group of dog lovers

After a hearty breakfast, I left the hotel and traveled some more kilometres to visit the well known temple of Huay Mongkol.  Lur Mongkol is a famous monk who had been doing miracles thus the revered and honour accustomed to him.  It is said that anyone who carries and wears an amulet with his image will be lucky. 

Huay Mongkol Temple

Walk under the elephant

It is also a belief among the locals that aside from worshiping and paying respect to the monk, one needs to walk under the wooden elephant for luck. I saw some people circling the underbelly and glad that it is a wooden one, not a real one. 


Wooden elephant for luck

Right beside the enormous garden and pavilions housing numerous statues and saints is a small plot of land owned by a private person.  He transformed his land into a sunflower field.  It only takes around a dollar to enter and snap photos to your delight. 

The field is very small compared to the vast fields of sunflowers in Lopburi but since I was there, why not bring myself some sunshine with its flashes of colours and sizes. 

An old carriage

An old mailbox

And when the day is about to end, I retreated back home traveling another three hours but with delight in my heart and soul on a fruitful weekend. 

An Old Person saying,
"Let the Merry Sunshine In!"

14 comments:

  1. oh my! the place is superb Sir!
    The beach looks enticing! I really miss the beach and the waves. Hopefully I could find the right time to go to the beach again :)

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knw there are a lot of good beaches in there so do so. You are fortunate to be living in a great city. One day, I will visit Cebu again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ito pala ung nasa profile pic nyo sa fb sir Jho hehe!
    Loved the sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, sir! Thanks Fiel. Sana next time kasama ko kayo and we will all do a jump shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow.. love the skyline photo...masarap din siguro ang mag island hopping dito.. nakita ko kasi sa pic na may iba pang isla sa di kalayuan
    thank you po Sir Jonathan for touring us around ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Masarap ngang mag island hopping but magastos. When I do go out, I make it sure na hindi siya over the budget. But after visiting Coron, these places I had been are less inviting to see. Thanks Blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haizt buti ka pa, ako I miss travelling na.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ang hirap bigkasin ng mga lugar sa Thailand (pati na mga pangalan ng tao), gusto ko tuloy marinig kung paano yan binibigkas nga mga locals dyan.

    Mukhang ok sa lugar na yan sir Jo, kasi parang ang konti lang ng tao.
    At ang lalaki ng mga sunflower! :)

    I'm glad na nakapag-muni muni ka ulit dyan :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hayaan mo Rix, pag natapos na yung kurso mo, you can do what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jep,

    Ingat din sa pagbigkas kasi minsan pag nagkamali ng intonation, iba na ang meaning. Halimbawa ang salitang banana at sex organ ng lalake. O di kaya ang pangalan ng upo sa Thai which is not so good in English.

    Anyway, kung gusto mong marinig ang mga locals eh di punta ka dito. Ipasyal ka nila, ha,ha,ha!

    Oo nga nakapag muni muni muli ako at may piktur pa! This one holds the most number of likes in my FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bakit yung mga places jan ends with -i? Lols.

    Soon, ikaw naman ang bibisitahin ko jan sa Thai at ipapasyal mo ko with your red schoo bus! Hahaha. Walang makakapigil. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most places I visited end in i and they usually have the word buri at the end. I think it means a part of a province and I remember asking someone about this.

    And you remember my red school bus eh, I'll ask a friend to drive us around if time permitting. Gawin mong weekends para makalabas tayo ng city. Pero isa isa muna, HK ka muna.

    Walang makakapigil basta ba walang laglag bala!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am ashamed to say that I have visited Thailand all my life and actually grew up in the the South of Thailand but I have never visited Lopburi or Hua Hin till today.
    My grandparents were from Bangkok and Songkhla, so I usually visited those places only.
    Why do you visit Thailand so often? I am just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Mr. Twilight,

    I am working here. I actually studied and had been staying in Thailand for many, many years this most of the places I visited were located in here. I do go back to Manila for a few days each year and travel the world maybe once or twice, budget permitting. Never been to Songkla and might do a short trip in the future.

    ReplyDelete