Wednesday, August 6

One Moment in Time (August 06, 2008)

As I live, I have been meeting people from all walks of life and I had been learning many things from them. Many years ago, an acquaintance of mine got sick without my knowledge. Thinking why he has not been in contact for many weeks, I was surprised to receive a telephone call from him. He was telling me how he had been busy but lately had been very sickly. I do not know his whereabouts so I asked. I am not familiar with the ins and outs of streets but I manage to find his place.

Up three floors, I knocked at the door and a faint voice answered that it was open. I was filled with sadness. The room is barely empty. It only has a folding foam mattress as bed and a few kitchen items for eating. He was lying on his bed with sad eyes and a pale face. I asked him who had been helping him throughout this ordeal. A kind neighbour knew of his condition but can just do little to help.

I went out to buy food, fruits and medicines. I was saddened by the fact that there was none of his supposedly closest friends to help. I was saddened by the fact that being alone poses problems unimaginable by people who have their family around them. I was like him. I was in his situation. I dread to experience the anguish of being left alone.

When he became strong and healthy, he gave me a call and thanked me for my graciousness. He is long gone, as he made a choice to go back to his hometown. I have no idea where he is now. But that moment in time when he was in dire need, I felt how it was to be sick, poor and alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment