Sunday, August 31

The Three Questions (August 31, 2008)



A very well respected mum came to my class and shared the story of The Three Questions in class. She read the book beautifully with such fervour, it became an immediate favourite.

While on a book hunting spree, I was able to find this prolific story based on a story by Leo Tolstoy. I was astounded to have found it, so I grabbed it as it was a bargain, so much cheaper than the one you buy from a book shop.

Upon reading the text, I stopped for a moment and returned back from the beginning and reread the story again. It dawned on me that the book does not just have beautiful illustrations but the text was so rich in meanings and interpretations.

The three questions were:
When is the best time to do things?
Who is the most important one?
What is the right thing to do?

So when I reflect on those questions for me to answer back, I cannot give a straight answer. I needed time to find the answers to some of the most simple yet intriguing questions of life.

The answers were given at the end but it was an answer to Nikolai, the main character of the story.

“Remember then that there is only one important time, and that is now. The most important one is always the one you are with. And the most important thing to do is to do good for the one who is standing at your side. For these, my dear boy, are the answers to what is most important in this world. This is why we are here.”

And so I answer the questions with limitations:

The best time to do things is now. Doing them now provides an opportunity for us to make a future. Besides, we do not want blaming ourselves for lost chances.
The most important ones are the people we love and cherish such as our parents, family members, friends, health, belief and conviction.

The right thing to do is to show our loved ones their value, to express to them our love and to make ourselves a part of their growth.

And this is why we are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment