Friday, January 16

Packing and Unpacking (January 16, 2009)

After a few years of graduating from the university, I have heard stories of friends who had been fortunate enough to be sent abroad because of their educational background and work experiences. I have heard their sense of independence and maturity. I have heard about their travels and explorations. I envied them. I wanted to be like them.

Little did I know that all these leaving and moving entails a lot of hardships and sacrifices. Being away from one's family for a long time is always first and foremost a big challenge. Living alone and making a life becomes a fight for survival and acceptance in a new setting. Working and proving one's worth becomes an everyday debacle. It is not all roses.

And when we move out, we pack our things such as clothes, mementos, some books, pictures, and others. We pack and bring the love and care of our family members. We pack the joy and camaraderie shared amongst friends. We pack the little courage and will to succeed coupled with prayers and determination to our next destination.

Then we unpack the things we bring along: material and immaterial things. We unpack whatever courage and happiness we brought along to the new land. We unpack the stories and sharings we remembered in our minds. We unpack the love we gently brought in our hearts. The unpacking becomes our glimpse of what we can only carry.

Time had made us strong. The surroundings had made us stronger. Our experiences had made us learn. Our dealings with people had given us wisdom. Our struggles to belong had made us reach further. Our own decisions gave us life.

I left not because I wanted to but because I needed to. I left with none of the packages I mentioned. I left with little money, with no lingering familial ties, no visible encouragements from people around me though some close friends gave their support and wishes of luck. I have nothing to pack when I left but the many years of living alone had given me things to collect, accolades to gather, accomplishments to look back, and life worth mentioning.

So now I unpack my dreams to others, my stories to share, my wisdom to give, and my time to express how life have been. It is not about packing material things but it is about packing the goodness of life and the joys of living. It is not about unpacking what we have accumulated through our savings, but the chance to show to people that they too, can pursue their dreams.

2 comments:

  1. you're a languages teacher in thailand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I don't think I can teach proper English grammar and enunciation.

    ReplyDelete