Monday, January 12

Just The Way You Are (January 12, 2009)


Max Lucado is indeed a prolific writer and his execution using simple characters and real situations are very interesting. His has a religious tone but very subtle, that even non-Christians are able to relate.

The story is about a king who was interested in adopting five children. The adults were jostling the children to impress the king so that when the first four children showed the best of their abilities. The last child has nothing to be proud of, as she has no great talent, without realizing that it is her great heart and caring attitude that will win the king’s attention.

When I meet people, I try to see the goodness in them by engaging them in pleasant talk. I try to make them comfortable when they come to my house, or when we meet outside, or when we are first introduced. I have no idea how they perceive me as a person during the first meet. All I know is that I have been showing the real me.

I happened to meet a new person during the holidays and the exchange of pleasantries was good enough. I was impressed by his ability to be jovial and helpful as I was purchasing something major from a shop. I was impressed by his honesty to tell me the pros and cons of buying such a thing. It was a relaxing feel and not intimidating.

I made friends, I initiated it. I was honest enough to tell him that his character is what I was looking for in friends. And since I always wanted to have new ones while keeping the old, I place my hope that it is going to be mutual. I was wrong.

His is a business persona, a quality that most companies will take as strength. Mine was a longing to have more and more people to be with, a seemingly show of insecurity. I was mistaken. This is a lesson learned.

I was impressed with this person’s personality without realizing that it is all a show, a part of his job. I should be like the king in the story.

Like the four children in the story, impressing the king became their sole goal and the king did not take that as assets. It was the quiet demeanour of the youngest child and her simplicity made her the child of the king.

2 comments:

  1. This post echoed some of my experiences.

    I've always thought of myself as a good judge of people, that is, I can feel sincerity even miles away. But I'd have to admit, I can sometimes be a bit vulnerable and gullible. But I've never regreted giving out trust in anyone, whether deserving or not. I always say, "it's a start, who knows."

    THough sometimes, even myself can be a bit decieving. I wouldn't know who I am at times. Be it a jolly, welcoming person, or a serious reserved (at times pessimist) one. I guess I'm a bit schizo with a weird case of split personality disorder. hehe kidding.

    Take care! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never smile, and people had called me stern looking yet once you get to know me, I am always asked to attend parties and get togethers because of my high spirits and wacky sense of humour.

    It is not a mask that I wear, it is just me. But the person behind the entry was all jolly and in the end, had an agenda why he was very friendly.

    I enjoy the way you write your thoughts and I envy the flow of your words. I hope that in blogging, I might be able to write as fluid as yours and as vibrant based on your blog entries.

    Thank you for the visit. I appreciate your presence all the time. You are a gift.

    ReplyDelete