Sunday, January 25

Opposites (January 25, 2009)

Some years ago, I attend a different church service/sect because I was invited to by a former colleague in school. I went with her and right after the service, I was introduced to some fellows of which I found to be very pleasant. We all became lunch buddies and occasional movie goers. I also enjoyed the sermons as they are practical and devoid of guilt trips. I also enjoyed singing in the choir and being part of some special celebrations done in different venues.

It was good! One day, my friend who was manning the welcome desk of the church was feeling terribly bad because of her heartbreak. She was crying so I volunteered to take her place momentarily. But that momentary break was the one that made me decide I was in the wrong place.

A lady came and asked me where she could ask information about a prayer group she wanted to join. I looked at the list and saw a name of which I was familiar with. I excused myself and went straight to the prayer leader and told him that someone was interested to join his group. I was surprised when he told me, "Just give her some information, I am in a hurry to go home."

Afterwards, a man came and told me he was new in the church and came to the welcome desk as nobody seemed to be warm enough to show him some smiles or extend him some greetings. I told him I was just a reliever but welcomed him as well.

I didn't know that the welcome I was extending meant to be my last day in that church. I realized a church is a group of people and not the structure. And if the group of people were cold, then it meant that the church cannot extend its major goal of spreading the Word of God.

I left that day with a heavy heart because for all those times, I thought that the church goers were true to their words of sincerity and warmth with welcoming arms. So when another colleague asked me to attend hers, and at present giving me a cold shoulder, I declined.

I may not be a regular church goer but I make it a point that I practise what I learned from my family. Our actions should be a reflection of what we preach.

4 comments:

  1. oh, that's terrible.. sorry to hear that... anyway, i also like attending other religion's/sect's services just so i have the idea on how they profess they faith.. and i used to sing in the choir too... when was your exact birthdate, anyway, if you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Catholic by religion but we practise Buddhism because of our Chinese background. I attended the Christian service because I have friends there. I also sing when there is a need of members but for special occasions only.

    My birthdate is on the 22nd of January. Thanks for always visiting. I have Davao in my itinerary because of your wonderful entry about the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mine is january 10... wow, thanks! wish i could show you around davao. take care, and keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really quite disgusting to see that people go to church just to boast and show-off that they attend mass but really never understood that they have to impart the Word of God and be a good example to others especially to his very own family.
    In these days and times, a lot of people only go to church when they need something but never go to mass just to say thanks for all the blessings they kept on receiving.

    ReplyDelete