Tuesday, November 10

Dreamsong

Dreamsong is a beautiful book written by Alice McLerran and illustrated by Valery Vasiliev. It talks about a boy named Pavel who heard a song from his dream and decided to seek the meaning during the course of a day. He found bits and pieces of the song but was searching for the beginning till he was tired of searching and headed for home.

Dreamsong could be interpreted in many ways yet it was the song of a mother that simply distinguishes the story from other books about motherly love. The song was portrayed as wonderful, triumphant, tender, joyous and wistful. For only to our own child could we create and sing a song not wary of the people around or the voice range used. To every child, a mother's voice is pure.

Though there will be no opportunity for me to sing to my own child, I render my singing voice though admittedly OK but not great, to the children I teach. I do not rock them to sleep but I transform the class into one lively and joy filled session with the goal to appreciate music.

My mother's voice is heavenly as she used to be a singer during her younger days. I was told by my grandmother that she was sought after by men and radio companies. I was also told that among the five sisters, she was the best singer of them all. I miss my mom and I am raring to see her this holiday season. For me, my 'dreamsong' would always be my mother's voice.

All the beauty that I knew,
All the love, I put in you.

Now the music can take wing;

Now the song is yours to sing.


Sweet the grass and warm the sun,

Learn to leap and dance and run.

Nothing in the world to fear-

If you need me, I am near.


Loveliness without an end!
Ah, what lies around the bend?
Loveliness that is today,

Loveliness that cannot stay....

Rivers flow into the sea,

Gliding into memory.

Gliding off, and born again-

Rain to river, sea to rain.

(McLerran)

2 comments:

  1. Good that your mum's still with you... unfortunately, mine aint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to learn that but I know she is so proud of you as a son and for being a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete