Sunday, November 1

Growing Old With Grace


Seated inside a bus and looking at the window, I can't help but notice the many trees lined up along the road from the province of Lamphun going to the city of Chiang Mai. Each and every tree was wrapped with a saffron cloth and tied with a bow. The religious implication was just so vivid. Each and every tree can possibly be hugged by three or four friends joining hands together. The trees stand for its beauty, its strength and its grand old age.

My life had not been a whirlwind of activities or event-full of grandeur. My life had been simple and quiet. I had met some people who from a very young age, lived their lives to the fullest enjoying each moment. I had met some people who had aged but still pinning for that hope to live their lives. I had met some who goes uphill and downhill as they search for the meanings of their lives.

When we search the meaning of our existence, we gather through the years experiences that will help us stand firm and strong. As we age, we then become wiser yet our body becomes weak or sickly. When we die, we make it a point that someone along the road, we had made an impression.

I am one of those trees because I knew from the many stories I heard and from the many people I extended my support and help that I am also a revered friend to them. I may not be wrapped by saffron cloth for protection nor tied and chanted with prayers nor hugged to see how my existence had been beneficial to others. Yet I knew that when someone takes a short trip along his or her own undertakings and reminisce, the shadows of my generosity and wisdom linger to their lives, now.

While living, we should strive to be of importance to many people and not just to our family. Our being a person should be marked with beauty, strength and wisdom. When we grow older, we should grow with magnitude and grace. The trees I saw became good examples to how I should be living today.

3 comments:

  1. i once reevaluated my goals in life and decided that what i really want is to grow old gracefully and be able to touch people's life as i move along.

    though I'm far from being as wise as you are, this post made me smile as I somehow was able to read some of my thoughts into your own words and have myself be thankful that i get to catch those wisdom from good people like you.

    I'll keep this post in mind everytime someone asks me for my new year's resolution. I tend to forget sometimes these life's goals and be overwhelemed with much of what the world has to offer. thanks phi Jon for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    This in itself is something to ponder, and I am happy to hear that you learn something from my post.

    I shared my entries to another friend recently and she shared her comments and joyous experience reading my posts. She even shed some tears.

    Jepoy, you are a good person so continue being one and I am hoping that the words you read would not just be reminders but put into action.

    ReplyDelete