Saturday, August 7

One Night Only

In one of my few trips around, I met a certain fellow whom for a reason became friendly to me. Seated across the room in a busy restaurant, the server came and greeted me with a smile. "Long time no see!" "You remember me?" I asked, wondering how he could do that when there had been plenty of people visiting the restaurant everyday. My last visit was a month ago where I asked him how to reach the market as I need to purchase some curtains. His joke of "five hours walk" made me smile and I didn't know that he will remember me for that inquiry.

After paying the bill, he asked if I could pick him up after work as he wanted to go out for dinner. I obliged and even when there was rain, I came on time. We walked through the cobblestone pathway quietly while listening to the pitter patter of the rain. I was holding an umbrella while sharing it with him as he push his bicycle towards a small eatery.

We ordered for some noodles and when everything were finished, the story began. His story was indeed moving, same old tales spoken and told by most. While I listened to his woes but with eagerness to survive, I was moved by his honesty and his sharing without barriers.

The rain stopped and we parted ways. While he threaded the walkway towards home I looked back and simply admired his way of thinking. There he was, a mere stranger, wanting a new life. His strength and will to free himself from the bondage of poverty and start life anew in that city had given me a new perspective of what I should be aiming for.

That night, the man wanted someone to listen, and I did. That night, I myself was transformed. My problems are nothing compared to his. I must be thankful. I must learn to give.

4 comments:

  1. We usually think that our problems are like mountains, til we chat with someone and we realize that compared to theirs, ours are just hills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I felt. I made contact with this person just in case. Thanks again for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why whenever I feel that I can no longer take things, I just almost always try to look at the brighter side and be thankful for the blessings I have.

    And oh, we both have the same last name. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi iurico,

    Same here, the blessings are just overflowing but small things had always been neglected such as the morning sunshine, a butterfly in my garden or a visit from someone with the same last name :)
    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete