Friday, July 13

Serenity

It was such a beautiful night when I gazed at the calmness of the water while the light illuminates to cast a reflection. It was a pretty sight and for a short while, I stood looking at the play of light to remind me of stillness, of serenity, of peace.


As I celebrate again my anniversary being a teacher, it gives me different perspectives of how my ways in life had changed throughout those years. From being the hard headed and arrogant teacher in my youth to the not so quiet yet calmer attitude now, the changes in me had been significant. Nobody said that teaching is all glory but it is about sacrifices, patience and having a great deal of generosity. There were storms met: the lows of being unstable, the pressing racial insults, the unfairness and lack of genuine appreciation. There were also rainbows such as the spontaneity of the children, their love and camaraderie, the encouraging words of parents, and knowing the children learned so much in my care.


That night, when I happened to take a photograph of such calmness, my life as a teacher was a reflection of what I saw. 


The light is the fire of wisdom passed on. 

The vastness is the years of service. 

The stillness is the commanding desire to perfect oneself. 

The shadows are the students' images. 

The water is the heart and soul of my being.




7 comments:

  1. hapi anibersaryo ng pagiging guro, ako kaya ay magtatagal din sa pagtuturo tulad mo? :) hanggaling ng reflection, naka relate lang me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maraming salamat sa pagbati. Hindi ko na nga alam kung paano mag-celebrate sa tagal na kasi, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the visit. I admired some of my teachers before both in the primary grades and high as well but I didn't have any idea that I will be a teacher and be one for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary...
    "Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence..." (Desiderata)

    http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~gongsu/desiderata_textonly.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you and I remember this from an old poster hanging from my aunt's room. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jonathan,

    Pam and I wanted to send you a sincere thank you for providing Owen with patient and supportive guidance. He has improved in many ways over the past four months and much of that is due to your hard work. Your teaching will be missed. (And Owen is in complete agreement with above statement).

    All the best,
    Patrick and Pam

    ReplyDelete