Monday, February 4

Turning Old

Turning old :)
I received a forwarded e-mail from a good friend about living graciously at an older age, 50 years and above which was  a translation from a Chinese manuscript. After reading the well-written thoughts, I decided to make a reflection on where I stand at this time. Though I still need more years before I push fifty, the words of wisdom enumerated will not be just reminders but also mantras for the coming years.

50-year old like you, don't trade in your health for wealth by working yourself to an early grave because your money may not be able to buy your health.

 I vowed to myself that I would stop working before the age of 50. I vowed that I will be keeping money and investing them in some worthwhile things so as not to compromise my health and well-being. I have seen many people still working at a very old age, enjoying nothing and being in stress all the time.  I wanted to do three things later in life: write books, paint more and do sustainable gardening. 

So, as long as you have enough food and enough money to spend, that is good enough. You should live happily. Every family has its own problems. Just do not compare with others for fame and social status and see whose children are doing better, etc., but challenge others for happiness, health, enjoyment, quality of life and longevity.

To live happy is the goal of each one of us but how to reach that goal? Start small, smile at the beginning of the day. Say a simple prayer. Look around for things to appreciate. I see the smile from the driver who picks me up everyday. I enjoy the camaraderie I get from my students. The laughter of the children makes me happy. Small notes and messages give me a smile. I wanted to be happy and getting small things in every small moment are enough to brighten each and every day. 

Above all, learn to cherish the goodness around... and FRIENDS... They all make you feel young and "wanted"... without them you are surely to feel lost!!

I am not talking about having hundreds of friends in your Facebook page. How many of them actually read your shout outs, or writes you a personal note, or simply visits your page because they care for you. I long for those old friends of mine where we get stuck in elevators, walked in flooded streets, shared one doughnut because we had no more money, or sat down on street pavements talking till the wee hours of the morning. I still have some of them, and kept the best. The memories alone make me feel young. 

(My birthday just passed and what did I do? I celebrated with my students in the morning, skipped school in the afternoon, had lunch with a good friend, went to the temple for offerings, then to a church for grace.)

13 comments:

  1. ;-) dapat kasi nakapag ipon na bago mag 50. para travel at bakasyon nalang. we have to enjoy every moment of our gray haired years ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday!!! belated na ba sir?
    gusto ko rin i-enjoy na lang ang buhay kapag matanda na, kaya kailangan magsipag habang bata :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. napaka gandang mensahe at inspiring din
    dapat talaga naman ito ang maging outlook natin

    anyways happy birthday parekoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like that you vowed to stop working before 50. that might give me a motivation to make and safe more money so that i could make the same vow (when i find out exactly what i want to dedicate my life to).

    ReplyDelete
  5. @phioxee - Buti nga kung gray haired years, nakakalbo na me sa kunsumisyon, lol! Kailangan malakas pa din para tayo maka travel. Mahirap namang magtravel ng tatlo ang paa.

    @Jep- para nga sa lahat ang mensahe nito lau na sa mga batang tulad ninyo. Ipon ipon lang para may paghugutan. Salamat sa pagbati!

    @MEcoy - puwede naman kasing mag enjoy na ngayon pero dapat mayroon pa ding ipon. Thank you sa pagbati parekoy! Naki parekoy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @mana- Good attitude. I regret not saving much so that's why I make reminders to myself and share them to younger people like you. Find your spot, make a good life and be happy! Good luck to your scholarship search.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated happy birthday jonathan. Well , I am fifty, but still working ang enjoying my life to the fullest. Like you I try to see the bright sides of life big or small. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the greetings. I will still work but not as much as I do now. Then do more volunteer work afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha. sorry po. im sure me gray hair yan sa hmm pwedeng bang may white hair sa ilong?

    ReplyDelete
  10. belated happy birthday po sir! I think if your heart says stop working, you should do so...:) Para naman may time ka ng bongga sa family and friends...:)


    xx!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @phioxee - aba, komedyante ka pala, like it!

    @xoxo - akala ko naman if your heart stop working, nagulat tuloy ako. That's true, family and friends pa din ang priority.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated Happy Happy Birthday ^^

    Kinakabahan akong tumanda... sana pag dumating un naka ready na ako... may na ipundar na o may malaking savings na...

    mahirap pa naman tumanda kapag nag iisa hehehe.... single pa kasi ako hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oo nga Jon, kawawa naman kung matanda na, walang pera at single. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete