Sunday, February 24

Being Different

Honk Junior, the Musical

I was privileged to be invited by a former student to see the musical production of Honk, based on the story of the Ugly Duckling. Though busy with my schedule, I took some time off so that I can give support to the main lead, played by my former student.

This little boy, who is now in fifth grade, was in my class when he was four years of age. I was very excited to hear and be in attendance to his school production and learning that there were also three former students of mine performing.

When he was doing his solo singing and acting at the same time, I managed to hold my tears as they were swelling up. This little boy reminds me of myself and his song, I'm Just Different, struck me without warning.

I'm Just Different
But I have a sense of pride
My looks may well be funny
But it hurts the same inside
Different isn't spiteful,
different isn't wrong
So why is it so hard to get along
I only want to get along.

Whilst being tagged a weird one when he was growing, what with his fascination with things round, he grew up to be an exemplary one. Right now, he is doing scientific notations and factorizations in mathematics when I go to his house for an hour (I teach him Math). Recently, he finished his lessons in web design and started making his own computer games while synchronizing a game he is playing with four other accounts without any assistance. he is creative and can draw intricate pictures from memory and from imagination. He is very kind to everyone and majority gave him positive feedbacks during their valentine activity in the classroom. He is not weird, different perhaps, but who isn't?

Just like the Ugly Duckling, nicknamed Ugly, I grew up perturbed by the comments I hear around but they made me stronger as I battle once again prejudice, racism and favoritism. I will not succumb to be with and along with the crowd, I should stand out and be proud. I am no longer the Ugly, though still not beautiful or handsome, but ever thankful for all my blessings. My being different gave me an edge.

Different isn't hateful
Different could be swell
Different is just well...
Different.

9 comments:

  1. A very touching post. Can so relate to him and your story too. Really, we cant judge people by their appearances .
    By the.way, you have a very good heart and the best is yet to come:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is not weird, different perhaps, but who isn't?

    =very true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post is short but inspiring...

    i like the song too...

    i would love to listen to it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ joy - many thanks for the inspiring words. I find solace in your blog and find my differences unique as seen in the eyes of God.

    @aboutambot - true and there's a line or two in the musical that says, There's a runt in every litter, one black sheep in every flock, but when you know it's you, somehow your ego takes a knock... We're just different!

    @ senyor - you can google the song Differet from Honk the Musical but the rendtion of my student was so close to my heart I couldn't find one that matches his. ( on a personal level)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well being different is basically being ourselves i guess
    thats the beauty of life the differences

    ReplyDelete
  6. Part of the show was the theme of acceptance and recognition of our differences. You are different as I am but we make the world an interesting place. Thanks MEcoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The problem is that society thinks that being different is bad and that's why a lot of people are afraid of going out of the norms. Being different from everybody else is being brave. And it takes a whole lot of guts to go against society.

    To being different and beyond! hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Zion,

    Very well said, thus a lot of people do not show their capabilities and assets because they are bounded by rules and expectations to behave the same as others. We become less of a person in exchange for acceptance. Our colours, our accents, our behaviour becomes one with the majority. We become lost souls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @jonathan

    and that's where the problem lies, are you willing to exchange your identity, your being different to gain acceptance and friends?

    People tend to stay away from people who are different.

    Salamat sa pagbisita and good to know na di lang ako nag-iisa of feeling lonely sometimes.

    ReplyDelete