Friday, October 24

The Older Me

During my high school and then going on to university days, friendship for me had been a constant battle. Recognizing myself as a nerdy person, I am a home-school-home kind of person. I wasn't a social creature and wasn't invited in any social gatherings. Mind you, I even cry when my parents asked me to go with them to see my aunts and cousins. 

So for me, receiving small notes and cards from people I care for had been a big thing. It means that I have some friends who remembers me. Proofs are three filed and hand made folders showcasing cards from my family members, classmates, and friends. They are all in a box stored somewhere. They are my life long memories.

I remembered fondly when my high school buddies asked to see my compilations and they were all teasing each other and trying to see if there had been a card sent to me from each one of them. They were constantly intriguing each other if we 'are' friends or not. 

The Troll's Hat is part of Oxford Reading Series for older aged children. It is an easy read and nothing sort of spectacular when it comes to plot or illustrations. However, it is a good exercise for intermediate readers. And while my student was reading the pages, I ended up in tears when I read the next page.


I know the feeling because it came some points in my life when I was needing friendship but I do not have any. I heard that I wasn't invited to a friend's gathering because I was told to be boring. I wasn't invited to a school's trip because they thought I will spy on them. I wasn't invited to a bowling game when everyone in the room were personally asked. Recently, my colleagues in school had lunch somewhere without inviting me to join them.

I felt bad but I went ahead and gave myself a much needed rest. A rest from being with people that deserves none of my friendship. The older me is sensitive but I am becoming callous and this is what I am striving for. I shouldn't be affected by these blatant negativities because I can enjoy my own company.

So you won't be able to see grand number of people in my postings as to show the activities I indulged into. No group photos, no eat outs and picnics, no large scale celebrations. I basks in solitude, in traveling to many places alone, and in finding my spot as a person. But I am still in gratitude to those who stood by me and to those who gives me shout outs once in a while. 

Jonathan looked happier than the Troll.
"I do not need cards and presents when I know 
I have a few people close to mine and their hearts," he said.

21 comments:

  1. Hmm... I think Im getting older as well! Hahaha

    In school, I suddenly feel that feeling where people will only talk to me when they need something from me. Oh well, I kind of set that tone as well. I only talk to some people when I need something from them. If not, I kept myself within my small circle of friends. Or just like you, I stay in solitude.

    Its not good to waste time to mingle with people who dont want to be with you. It requires more energy and can possibly be draining. They dont know what their missing in you. *****hugs*****

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quality over quantity sir. You wont need so many friends. A few true ones would be more than enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sir Jo ^_^
    Parang may slight hint nako kung ano ang pinaghuhugutan neto :)

    Bigla ko tuloy naalala yung kowtabol kowts ko on one of my post last year na...

    "Nakakapagod rin pala yung habol ka ng habol sa taong inakala mo ay may pagpapahalaga sa iyo. Isang malaking katangahan ang patuloy na habulin pa ang isang taong ni kahit minsan ay di ka man lang nagawang lingunin."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi cher kat,

    Funny thing that I posted this just this morning and then later at half past two met a friend from Singapore that I haven't seen for seven years but still remembered our beginnings, my stories, and our adventures together with another friend.

    I learned to let go of those who do not value anything from me. Though I am still caring and selfless, I have to shield myself from others to preserve my dignity and value as a person.

    I know you will be a close friend of mine so dont you dare run away from me... I have nothing, nothing, nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Oliver,

    Words of wisdom from someone so much younger than me. Your presence in here is so much appreciated. We will meet one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello fiel,

    Yung quote mo ba last year ay naging effective for this year? If not, gawa ka pa ng mga quotes to also help me let go.

    Manghuhula ka na ba? Eh sa next posting ko nga may mga names pa, ha,ha,ha. Tapos na siya, just giving myself some time to let everything sink in.

    Besides, yung post na ito eh isang reminder lang naman. Na marami pa rin akong dapat pasalamatan dahil marami pa rin akong kaibigan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramdam kita Sir Jo...

    Wag kang mag-alala, you are a very nice person :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salamat Jep. Ramdam talaga no, kasi inumpisahan mo, ha,ha,ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Invite mo kasi ako para di ka mag isa... Promise mahina lang ako kumain hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Parang kapit bahay lang tayo. Ako nga ang hindi na invite so baliktad, ikaw dapat ang mag invite sa akin. Hindi ako malakas kumain, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wont go anywhere...
    KElangan mo lang mag.....--

    Let it go... Let it go.....

    :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ser Jonathan: looking forward for that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jon,
    It was really a collection of memories. We had fun checking all those greeting cards and post cards:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ cher kat,

    Kanta ko na rin yan, let it go, let it go dahil walang magagawa ang magmaktol sa tabi tabi.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Oliver,

    Will do, and I might even ask some blogger friends to come with me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ anonymous Diana,

    It was a riot. Remeber saying, naku, baka wala ako, hindi ako friend ni Jonathan. At ang mga 'bff', mayroon....ha,ha,ha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Still, I long for friends that I know will never be back.

    But, I learned to just reminisce our happy memories instead of regretting or stressing myself of their absence.

    Still, being alone sometimes give me sadness.

    Yet, I get to be stronger and braver everyday.

    Still, we are in the getting to know stage of friendship.

    However, you are already preparing me for your leave.

    After your wise words, I am happy knowing someone understands me.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  20. Baligtad naman tayo, Hunnibheb. Post HS, I get invited everyplace, by most everyone. However, I tend to turn most down, because deep inside of me I feel they merely relate to the happy-bouncy-giddy me. And while yes, that is also me, that is just a part of who I am, really.

    That, like you, I too, am a home-school-work-home kind of a person. That I happen to LIKE being alone most of the time.

    Childhood, yes, I shun invitations too. But mostly because I am never allowed. This would make for another story, altogether (Remind me, next time, ha?).

    But, just as your good friends point out, you are a good person. And if these people do not value you, we are here for you.

    I apologize again, for all the comment-deletion, this day I went ballistic and imploded. Never again.

    *smiles*

    I am here for you. We will explore and experience all those things you missed out on, kung gusto mo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sige hunny, let's do them together. The walk in the park, the staycation along the beach, sightseeing along trails while climbing up mountains, and even when we are just at home. Knowing that we are together is enough.

    ReplyDelete