Saturday, August 15

One Drop of Rain


I maybe one drop in an ocean full of people but even a small drop 
can make a drip sound or a ripple, albeit small.

When I was in my first year of university, I met a man named George and we were in the same class. Since I was always present and him, being absent most of the time, our connection was with the constant borrowing of notes and reminders from teachers (I was the vice president of the class, meaning, the bearer of news.)

It was almost the end of the school year when I asked George why the tardiness or absences.  He mentioned that times were tough and that he cannot afford to come to school everyday.  He even had no money to fully pay his tuition fee in school.  He needed to fulfill his obligation for his family so he also worked after school.

His dilemma at that time was the coming examinations as it was already the end of our first year.  He wasn't able to attend my study group where we sat down to review lessons from our Philosophy class.

He was out most of the time in class thus he doesn't know most of the lessons taught.  The biggest challenge was not just to take the test but also to pay for the remaining balance he should had paid earlier.

He was able to take the test, with my help, though he didn't pass the exams.  Well in our class of 42 students, only three of us passed the Philosophy exam and only nine went on to second year.  The rest left the university after that year, including George.

Though I didn't hear anything after that and he wasn't able to return the tuition I lent him, I learned to be more humble and appreciative. I learned that life is unfair. I learned that my troubles were minuscule to others.  I learned that hard work pays off. I learned that in life, challenges make us grow and strong

12 comments:

  1. Hindi nalalayo ang kwento ni George sa kwento ko noong college din ako. At kagaya ni George, minsan may tumulong din sa akin para matapos ang aking kurso.

    Salamat sa inyo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayroon din namang tumulong sa akin, my grandparents so that I could continue school and for that, I am grateful. At sa mga natulungan, sana naman they will acknowledge them later kasi pare-pareho lang naman tayong naghihirapa para kumita ng pera. An appreciation will do but if there are none, oks lang. Basta ang importante, we helped to make one life different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok lang yun, at least you help him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo naman Rix, pero sayang kasi dahil hindi nagtuloy para matapos ang kurso.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I justhad a conversation with my youngest sister, she wants to work and quit school coz most of her friends are already working. I told her, it's really envious but she is lucky to have our papa and mama to support her studies.

    Have you heard of any news about George? I wonder what kid of life he got right now. Maybe things had been very rough for George that time... Sometimes, mch as we want to help others, we can only do so much. It is personal push that drives a person. The external support are secondary. Help actually comes when needed. Blessings when you least expect it.

    As for you, your generosity had come a long way, you have touched so many lives and please be it known that you are deeply appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I went to meet you and Sep that day, the cab driver was telling me about his daughter who isn't keen on studying. I was so insistent that he should never allow her to stop. Yes, there will be opportunities to earn money but you won't go far unless it's your own business.

    I have no more idea where George is as when he left the university, we didn't hear anything from him. I hope he is doing well. I also thought of doing a doctorate but like what you said, it's a personal push. Maybe if I become motivated again to study.

    Thank you so much too Cher Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nanghihinayang ako kasi in my case, hindi ko natapos yung college ko since I had to work for my family too pero if may opportunity ulit (knowing that my sister is almost graduating na cheers!), maybe I'll go back to school ulit hehe

    As for George.. It's really nice of you to help him in many ways even without getting any in return ... siguro kung may anak na si George ngayon.. he knows na how it feels kung hindi makakapagaral yung mga anak nya and he will surely do his best to support his kids .. sana

    PS: ang galing huh.. one of the 3 out of 42 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't think of George having a child later on and it was good you mentioned this. I know that parents wanted to give the best to their children because for one, they didn't get what they wanted. When I was younger I very much wanted a train set but my parents cannot afford it. When I grew up and had the chance to buy one, I bought some and this was because I set a goal in my future life.

    Blue, if by any chance you get to go back to school, do it as it is more difficult for most to get a better job with no degree. God bless! And yes to the P.S., studious kasi ako.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi sir Jo!
    Isang pinoy din ba si George or isang foreign national?
    God bless your kind heart for helping him kahit di nya na ipinagpatuloy yung kurso :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Fiel,

    Yes, pinoy si George and since I was the vice president of the class, medyo kilala ko ang lahat ng classmates mo. Tinulungan ko siya since gusto ko siyang pumasok sa iskul at hindi mag,aabsent but...

    Marami rami na rin akong natulungan both Pinoys and foreigners. Hindi naman ako naghahangad ng kapalit dahil sa dami na rin ng tulong na natanggap ko.

    Salamat Fiel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ganito rin sir Jo yung nangyari sa isang co-scholar ko nung college. pero kung iisipin, mas maswerte siya dahil wala naman siyang poproblemahin financially sa pag aaral sa kolehiyo.

    Adopted son kase siya. Dahil sa fb, natagpuan niya ang nanay nya nasa Portugal. Nag aaral pa kami nun tapos pinapadalhan siya occasionally at pinagakuan na kukunin ditto sa pilipinas at dadalhin sa Europe.

    Dahil siguro masyadong kampante, hindi na siya pumasok. inaantay nya na lang yung pangako sa kanya.

    Lumipas ang ilang linggo di na rin naming siya nakita. Di na bumalik sa school. Akala naming kinuha na ng magulang, but no. Hindi natupad ang pangako sa kanya. hanggang ngayon andun pa siya sa amin. Sinasabihan naming siya noong bumalik, pero ayaw na niya. Ginawa na namin yung pwede naming gawin bilang mga kaibigan, pero siya na mismo ang tumatanggi sa opportunity.

    Ang hirap kase minsan sir Jo, may mga taong gusto mong tulungan pero ayaw nilang tulungan yung sarili nila.

    Pasensya sir Jo, napahaba ata comment ko.hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahah kasalanan nya yun hindi nya pinahalagahan ang oportunidad na magaral

    ReplyDelete