Saturday, July 5

Living My Life (July 5, 2008)

Many years ago, I go to an international school either by biking or by taking a public transportation. I supervise the fifth graders during lunch so I am familiar with their faces. One day, I happen to be inside a public transportation to go to school with someone from the fifth grade. She stopped right in front of a posh subdivision while I continued about fifteen more meters away to stop in front of the school. This happened thrice or more and I had been aroused with curiosity as why she would stop before reaching the gate of the school and walk.

My guess was that she was embarrassed to be seen riding a public transportation while her well-to-do classmates take school buses or their private cars. She must be embarrassed that her family is not as well off as her friends. I found out later that she attends school through a scholarship granted to her. It means that she was eligible to study in an international school not because she was rich but because she has the brain and that she bested many candidates for the scholarship grant. It means that she is far better than others but lacking in respect to herself. She is blessed and she should realize that.

I am not rich but I take pride with all the accomplishments I had been reaping throughout. I may not have the money to buy expensive things but I have the dignity to tell people that I live a simple yet honest life. I walk the streets, I take public transportation and I eat street food yet I am honoured that I earn everything through my hard work. I am not ashamed to be a simple person.

No comments:

Post a Comment