Thursday, July 10

Cab Drivers (July 10, 2008)

With the rising prices of fuel and LPG come the hardships of those cab drivers as they struggle to balance the rising cost and their meager income from driving. Since I am an avid cab rider, I sympathize with their dilemma.

I am always awed when the cab driver remembers me from a previous ride. This happened not once but many times. The last one was surprisingly admirable as he remembered each and every details of our encounter. He can vividly recall the place, the weather as it was raining, my residence area, our short conversations about my job and my liking for gardening.
I remembered him marrying at an early age and his wife which is six years younger than him. They have a six year old son. It struck me because of the ages they decided to marry while I am already turning gray and still unmarried.

There was one comment from a magazine reader who said that only poor people and tourists ride cabs. Maybe I am poor but I am not ashamed to be called one. Besides, I get to meet new people and connect with them everyday. Our pleasant meetings bring knowledge on my part and an understanding of cab drivers’ lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment