Wednesday, April 8

Conflicting Neighbours (April 08, 2009)

From a small house with a garden, I moved to an apartment where I furnished them with simple furnitures and electrical appliances. I brought with me two pick-up truck full of plants so as to make the place airy and bright. I placed some at the back of the house, some at the terrace and the biggest ones in front of the small garage. I was living serenely when I started hearing things from my next door neighbour. They hated my dogs, they hated my plants, they hated my presence.

Since I do my special tutorials at home, a number of cars do actually park in front of my gate mostly during the afternoons and Saturdays. My neighbours hated that. When I water the plants, the excess water flows to their side and they would come out and sweep furiously even if I water the plants at ten in the evening. My neighbours hated that. And when I arrive on my bike, they usually announced loudly that I am back. My neighbours hated me and I hated them for that.

I moved after six months and had the pleasure of meeting peace loving neighbours and very accomodating people. When I removed the cobblestones to turn it into a garden patch, my neighbours were there to encourage me. I loved them for that. When I work till ten in the evening improving my yard, my neighbours would simply dropped by and say I am doing an amazing job. I loved them for that. When I do some reading while sipping tea over at the garden, another neighbour will pop his head and smile at me. I loved him for that and I loved them in return.

Then I need to move again and this time it started very well with my neighbours until they started extending their house. The noises came everyday even on Sundays. The pile of debris just keeps on growing right inside my yard. My plants were dying as each and every bricks or pieces of used lumber were thrown on top of my growing plants. It was like they extended their house towards mine though there was an ironed fence. I discovered that the workers climbed the gate so that they can work from my side. It was horrifying. It was pure madness!

When I asked the owner if his workers can be tidy and considerate, I received no answers. He gave me a smirk on his face and then walked away. If hell exists, then this man is the devil incarnate. I was even told and to quote, "Speak to my son, he works in the government." The construction stopped after six months and everything returned to normal but not my senses. I am still furious because there were no apologies, no retributions, and no spoken words of kindness. I thought of my revenge but I decided I will be facing a losing battle.


Things have improved as I changed my attitude, my surroundings and my nicey-nicey manners. I started becoming unfriendly and unperturbed by their presence. I gated the whole house with small trees so as to privately claim my territorial grounds. I became hermit-like.

Our neighbours are supposed to be our support system as we co-exist in one place. But greed and envy permeates, as well as guilt and lost of face. So when I am compounded again by a situation like I mentioned, I've learned my lesson. It's time for true colours.

2 comments:

  1. i don't like obnoxious neighbors. i'd rather be a hermit that suffer an emotional strain because of their ill manners...

    ["Speak to my son, he works in the government."]-wow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I have no one to give vent to my frustrations, I use this blog to write things about my life. I apologize for being a victim reader of my sharing.

    So better scout for your neighbours first before moving in.

    ReplyDelete