Sunday, April 19

Burning (the) Memories ( April 19, 2009)


I always cling to what was of the past. I savour the joys brought by fond longings and memories. How do I stop myself from remembering what should have been long forgotten? My mind sees things, and recollections were then made. And when I moved away from that object or from a certain familiar situation, I was defeated by emotions. Then, I get angry and sometimes, I am lost.

Burning memories deceive the senses as one continuously live in the past. It is like the ripples created by the constant drops of rain. It is the sound of familiar and unwelcomed voices. It is the coming and going of recollections.


Burning the memories console the desires of letting the remembrance consumes our core. It is a way to let go, to take hold of one's life and to move on. It is like a fire of change, a spark of a new beginning and a light to shine through. Thus, living now becomes real.

I thought that when I gave my heart to someone, it was unconditional. It was my burning memory. But letting go of that illusion is now my way of burning the memory. I thought of accumulating sentimental things to relive the happiness. It was another burning memory. Giving away what was not needed and moving away from sentimentalities are now part of burning the memory.

The best way to remember is to make use of the knowledge and experience learned from the past. A better way is to project our visions to the future. The best is to live the present, the reality of what is 'now'.

7 comments:

  1. very well said, my friend...

    it does not do well for us to live in the past or dreams forged in its realm, and forget how to live the present...

    i am a very sentimental person, and i admit, i am struggling in finding ways to 'burn the memories' that are potentially holding me back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very difficult indeed to forget things that we cherish and the things that haunts us. Same here, I am sentimental in many ways that it is more difficult to let go.

    I am finding a friend in you and I do enjoy your visits and your comments. Thank you so much, once again. I owe you big time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. same here! i'm learning so much from you... so keep in touch and keep writing! hehehe!

    ---
    thanks, jonathan! have a blast this weekend ayt? peace out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best way to remember is via an implanted memory card in our skull/brain. If only I can be a guinea pig for such expirement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi phi Jon! I too find myself reminiscing old memories, like tracing old writings on a tree. Good times and sad times.

    I am after all such a sentimental bloke. And I've got all my memento box to prove 'em.

    But weirdly, though I would sometimes find myself remembering these memories, they are just that, memories. They really don't hold much gravity unless they're unresolved ones.

    But usually, they are replaced by a much beautiful memory. Old loves are just that, old. Old heartaches have healed. Good memories have remained. Bad ones became lessons to apply and share.

    Though now, I'm starting to throw away old stuff. Not that they remind me of some pains, but they're just too many clutter in my room already. haha! I think I need space to welcome more mementos. haha.

    Cheers Phi Chai! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kris - there are some things that are favourable to remember but there are some I wanted to forget. I would probably need an implant when I reach the stage in my life when I cannot even remember my name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Jepoy - I remembered telling you that the reason why I keep memories is because I wanted the things around me to remind me of my good friends. And just like you I have collected cards and souvenirs from many people. I am also learning to let go of other things.

    You are completely right when you said that bad memories become lessons to apply and share. I also use those unfavourable memories to make me stronger and wiser saying, "Never again!"

    ReplyDelete