Saturday, April 11

Friend or Foe (April 11, 2009)


Pulling out some weeds, I heard some rustling sound above me. I looked up and saw two squirrels jumping from one tree to the next. One was brave enough to pose for a photograph. After nibbling on some bark, a bird came swooping down and gave it a peck. The squirrel went up, higher and higher, jumped to the roof and then disappeared.

I went with my usual chores and found a fallen mango fruit with big bites on it. I wished it had not fallen so that it will all be consumed rather than being feasted on the ground by fruit flies and giant millipedes. But, food chain goes like this. It is the way nature works.

When this visitor of mine came to eat and play, I do not mind one or two of the mangoes being chewed up. However, if each and every fruit will be bitten, this is unacceptable. I waited for the trees to give me fruits and while the wait is long, these squirrels find their way to be in my garden and feasts to their delights. On the other hand, the fruits of the trees are nature's bounty to be shared by both men and animals. In a way, I help feed these critters while they eat the insects that harbour the trees. It's a give and take situation.

I have met a number of people who had taken advantage of other's weaknesses or good faith. They have broken friendships, cross-over barriers and eventually made enemies. When one hand is given out, they pull your entire arm. When one word is spoken, they give you scowls or they ruffle your feathers.

Friend or foe? When you meet someone in your life, how could you be sure that the person is a friend to keep or a foe to be wary of? Some smiles are deceiving. Some smiles are genuinely given. However, intentions cannot be based on mere actions and words. Time will surely test the elements of knowing each other. Friend or foe, it is difficult to decide.

2 comments:

  1. trust is a tricky thing...and i think true friends are not found, they're made. and yet still, there are things that are not certain. i guess, we'll just have to take a leap but do it with caution...

    squirrels are such adorable looking animals. i would like to keep one as
    a pet..hehe!

    ---
    thanks for the comment, jon. i really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from squirrels I have geckos, toads, ladybugs, cherry snails, bees and the deadly wasp as frequent visitors not to mention the green snake that slithers from tree to tree. Whew!

    I easily give my trust so I am always taken advantaged of. I guess I have to learn harder.

    ReplyDelete