Sunday, December 13

Small Talk, Lasting Impression


When I first started working as a preschool teacher in a not so familiar environment, I had apprehensions and bouts of loneliness about what's to happen and what's to expect. When one is in an unfamiliar territory, with less experience and knowledge about life, I get anxious.

One early evening I was invited by an English friend to have dinner at their residence. I accepted the invitation and enjoyed the company of her family. It wasn't a lavish feast but it was very warm and welcoming. When the table was being cleaned up, the two children ages 4 and 6, asked me to watch television with them and during that short moment, a conversation ensued.

"Who lives with you in your house?"
"No one, I live alone."
"That's why you are lonely."
"I am fine but sometimes I do feel lonely."
"You know, you could come to our house if you feel sad."
"Oh, thank you. So nice for the offer."
"We could play some games or you could come for a sleep over."
"That would be lovely. Both of you are so very nice."

The food at that dinner table and the setting of the house are just distant memories and I couldn't even recall them. The warmth and friendship of the family is the one that stuck to me through my many years of battling the realities of life. The sincerity and the wisdom of those two children had been cornerstones of my existence knowing and believing that people exists for others.

The boys had grown and the family had long left Thailand but the friendship they offered during my down days simply never skipped my mind and heart. Thanks to the Harris family.


artwork by Emilia D.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks anonymous for your wonderful observation and for taking time to read the articles.

    ReplyDelete