Monday, December 28

The Quiltmaker's Gift


What a pity that I haven't heard or seen this book before. However, it is a true joy to find the meaning and discover that there is such a literature for children that illustrates what I long to do with my life for the coming years.

The book is called The Quiltmaker's Gift and is written by Jeff Brumbeau and illustrated by Gail de Marcken. It is a charming fable of a generous quiltmaker who sews the most beautiful quilts in the world, then gives them away. It involves a greedy king, rich and powerful, yet unhappy with the things he have. The two lives intertwined and each learn the power of change and sharing.

The premise of the story is that the quilt maker will give one of her special quilts to the king if the latter agrees to part with his so called treasures to those who are in need. It is like to free ourselves from the bondage of materialism and confront our fear of losing what we have. At the end of the book, the quilt maker gave one of the quilt she especially made for the king and the king answered:

"But I am not poor. I may look poor, but in truth my heart is full to bursting, filled with memories of all the happiness I've given and received. I'm the richest man I know."

It is difficult to give away things we possess or had acquired for the longest time. It is equally hard to let go. However, we live to enjoy these things and when we part, these things will serve their purpose to other people again. Our link to material things should be that of needs and not of wants. Hard to let go, but beautiful to live a more simpler life.

The beauty of living is not that of acquiring wealth but that of acquiring wisdom and strength to fulfill our goals to lead and reach others. This is one goal I look forward to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment