Friday, July 22

In The Eyes of the Children

Every morning is what we call our circle time where we all sit down, do some clapping patterns and sing our greeting and other songs. Most of the time, there are songs for singing and songs for dancing and the latter is the favourite of all.

During the last school year's Art Auction day, the children wanted to sing some songs to their parents so I invited them all to come. Most of the moms, including dads (which is a rarity in school events), came. The presentation was meant for parents to watch but I planned something more of a participatory show rather than just being there. I created a special programme where the children starts with a song or two and then asking their parents to sing and dance with them later. The half an hour gathering was a blast. It was also hilarious to see some children doing silly antics creating a roar of laughter within the classroom.

Come the end of the year Celebration of Learning where the same programme was rendered but this time, on an hour basis. Everyone was there including the presence of a grandma who was visiting from Armenia. The show started with some serious stuff such as playing of rhythm instruments to the beat of the song Toembai, to the hand performance of You Are My Sunshine, and some other songs. Later on, the parents were then asked to dance to the music of Here We Come a Walkin and Ha Ha This A Way. Then, some games where the children and their moms and dads showed camaraderie, sportsmanship and candor. There was one instance that the dads were standing with me on the benches and dancing to the beat of Move It from Madagascar. It didn't last for an hour, it even went beyond dismissal time. It was beyond comparison. It was so much fun!

The cake you see was an impression of how I am in the eyes of the parents and the children. It was specially made as a farewell and thank you cake for a whole year of fun and learning. When I was presented a book made by the children themselves, I cried. And when I shared my feelings of the past school year, the room was filled with tears.

Moments like these should be blogged. It will remain a part of my heart and growth as a person. To the twelve loving families who gave me their trust and love, thank you as well!

Thank you to Aino (Finland), Alex (Armenia), Andrea (Denmark), Caleb (New Zealand), Deena (Thailand), Elena (Belgium/Vietnam), Franco (USA), Isi (Chile), Keanu (USA), Kristine (USA), Lukas (USA), and Teppan (Thailand). I will miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment