Thursday, October 20

Son Klasuek, One Among Millions



I was reading a very short article about a man named Son Klasuek, who is in his late seventies, has been planting trees in his neighbourhood in Chaiyaphum ( a province of Thailand). His effort was recognized in 1997 when at that time, he planted an estimated 20,000 trees. He received his highest honour when the Majesty the Queen gave him a decorative golden pin in recognition of his one-man effort in reforestation.

With the present crisis Thailand is facing, flood, I was wondering if most of us had started years ago in doing what Khun Son started in his younger years. I always think that I do my part by planting numerous trees in my yard. That I don't just beautify my surroundings to strengthen my spirit to live, but that I also care for the land I am in.

I am not saying that planting will support the excess water thus preventing spillage when there's an excess. I am not saying that trees will suffice in the stoppage of water flow. I am merely saying that thinking way ahead and doing something about it makes a big difference now.

Khun Son gave his bit to Mother Earth unselfishly and without thinking of any material rewards. Most destroyed their environment to profit while others simply do not care. No pointing fingers here but a realization that each and one of us has a part in helping take care of the only earth we live in. What is your contribution?

No comments:

Post a Comment