Friday, October 21

To My Niece



Dear Coleen,

First of all, I am sending my birthday wishes to you through this blog. Happy birthday my dear and hope you'll enjoy your party later. I am so sorry that I couldn't be there because of the flood situation in here. I will make sure I'll bring along a present this Christmas.

I have been away for many years. I left a month before your mom and dad got married. I had to take a leave of absence to attend the ceremony after a month. I was there when we sent your mom to the hospital and gave birth to one bright and sweet child and that's you. But I have not been a part of your growing years not because of the distance but because I was also occupied with work, studies and other personal affairs. I get to see you every year but our relationship is marred by silence and with the usual simple hellos. I regret not playing a big part of your growing though it is the same with the rest of my nephews and another niece. I apologize.

What made you special was when you visited me here with your family. It was bonding time and for a very short visit, your presence along with your family made me special knowing I am recognized as a big part of the family, still. I will never forget my reaction and your parent's faces when they got off a samlor (three wheeled vehicle) the last night you were all here. I cried when I read the thank you card you all wrote to me when I went back home after sending you to the airport. And when I woke up the next day, the eerie silence in the house and with no smell of coffee or breakfast made me sad.

You are indeed blessed by a wonderful dad and a hard working mom along with a super duper "kulit" brother. And as you celebrate your 18th birthday with them and with your closest relatives and friends, may you realize that we all love you. Be the best you can and show the world how great you are as a person.

With love,
Uncle Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment