Monday, March 5

Awe!

My class is about projects. As the children are the oldest in our school, at 4 and 5 years of age, they get the biggest bulk of work in terms of exploring, representing, discussing, and creating works of wonder. This year the theme is about landscapes and narrations. We discussed our summer escapades in the beginning then zeroed in on our individual preferences within a context that we all are familiar with, the school setting. While discussing our mind maps, I  created different play situations by using the many landscapes discussed and represented at the beginning of the school year.


Artworks of garden, mountain scenes, seascapes, kingdoms and space became backgrounds for a more elaborate play focusing on cooperation, language, and creativity. We ended making a garden and a castle. We named them the magical garden and the enchanted castle complete with a princess, a prince and a unicorn, a knight, shields and crowns. The entire area was turned into a free zone of creative play.


When everything was done, props and sceneries included, I summoned the children to look at their work as a whole and the awe and amazement on their faces and words simply devoured my fragile emotions. Tears rolled down my cheeks and I told my assistant, "This is the reason why I teach."


I love projects and it is in doing them that I become more of a teacher, more of a creator, and more of a facilitator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment