Friday, March 23

Sad World

And I thought that the issue of race will never surface again since I have established myself as a good teacher, no, as a very good teacher. Just this week right after doing a sort of advertising for the school, a couple of moms questioned the presence of Asians in an international school such as ours. 


My life as a teacher was a long sad journey from being unsure of what I like to do to being accepted as a teacher. Starting with very minimal salary for a half day's work, I struggled getting to school earning very little that I cannot even afford to eat lunch before going home. I tried proving my worth so I went back to school and took Education with the little money I was earning from two jobs. My big break came when I was asked to work out of the country and the rest was history. 


My present school stood for me when I received doubts from some of the local parents in my class during my first year stay. However, the rest of the parents gave me inspirations, encouragement and the best advice ever. From then on, my work was seen rather than my physicality. My contributions were acknowledged rather than my colour. My goodness and professionalism became a part and parcel of my name. They knew me as Jonathan, and not as an Asian.

I am writing not to defend myself from the incoming shower of skepticism since I am not directly affected by the comments. I am writing to show how still at this time, some choose to prefer colour from product, accent from process, and origin from competency. Sad world, but very real.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I am sorry to hear this. What part of international do they not understand? They do not deserve to have you teach their children, or to know what an excellent teacher you are. More power to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't mind those people who think of themselves as superior for in truth and in reality they are nothing but Stupid and Uneducated. Cheer up my bro for you produces good students which means you are indeed a good teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people are really born cutting ground under ones's feet. One day she will put her foot in her mouth and you will have the last laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the modern world, prejudices, discrimination and superiority are culturally learned and power-driven. You are blessed with the grace to face that issue. Hold on to your integrity, you are God's gift to others. I am proud of you...remain calm and strong.:-) Inggit lang yang mga walang magawa sa buhay kapatid, he he he, may karma.

    ReplyDelete