Monday, April 30

Lessons in the Workplace

Every year, we will have families leaving the country as they will be stationed in another place or will be sent home to continue in their home bases. Every year, I hear comments from people who stayed put about how the families who are to leave had made their stay a wondrous one or how a family had helped them through their transition or how a family had supported them in one way or the other. And it is always every year that I hear great stories dedicated to those who are to move.


This year however, it is intriguing to hear so many negative comments about one person who is about to leave. The complaints are mounting everyday as I speak with one person to the next. Issues of unfairness, bad behaviour, discrepancies in treatment, indifference to other nationalities, and issues pertaining to work ethics are piling up. I have never heard so many for just one individual.


It is sad that when one leaves a workplace or a country that they planted negative vibes among the community members rather than good. I always tell the parents of my students that I do my job well because the children (my students) are my ambassadors of goodwill. They are my walking testimonies. They are my living advertisements. So I give my whole self to my job and even as a person. At the end of the day, people will always say the nicest things and both parties are happy.


I also learned many things within the past years which will be valuable as we start with new changes. Problems are solved not by patching up loopholes but by working on the core of it. Equal opportunities and equal pay for a job well done. Colours make us different from others but our contribution exceeds our origin. Kind words cannot make positive changes for they are masked with dishonesty. Children cannot be labelled by Google searches or by movie titles. The project may just be a cliche but the voices of the children give value to it. Instilling good behaviour catches up among the rest when modelled properly. When one has a strong opinion, stand for it. Mistakes are made by everyone, admit yours. Share feedbacks. Lastly, play fair.


I will try to practise what I learned and through the process of learning, I will also be accumulating life experiences that will be shared among those who will listen to my stories for the years to come. My work with children is my only living legacy, and my work space is my playground where I get to grow, make positive contributions and weave good impressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment