Wednesday, September 10

Of Past and Present

As I walk through the narrow door that opens the small shop, I was overwhelmed by how dusty and trodden the place had become. I was welcomed by a weary smile from a non stranger. He knew that I was up to be surprised and surprised I was.

When I reached the steps that led memories of childhood and playtime down the wooden stairs, I cried not the drops of tears that usually meant happiness but it was a moment of sullenness. It was defeat at its peak.

I couldn't even look at my father for I don't want him to see the tears in my eyes but my voice didn't hide my feelings. I was filled with sadness and later after some talks, it was anger that permeates my being. I was hearing stories of greed, back stabbing, cheating and the like. Not in my mind that I will be met with such drama but this wasn't television, it was for real.


The sheer tenacity of the spirit kept me sober as I realized the value of coming back. Staring at the window which served many memories of the past, felt heavy but engaging. The remnants of yesterdays were still etched on the pavement, from the grain of the wood through its discoloration. This was a moment to behold.

Childhood memories of good and bad lingered through the shape of the rectangular windows. The fight over a can of beans and the bout of anger by his dad asking him and his sister to finish bags and bags of bread. It was a past uncalled for. 

Our old house became a solace once again from where we once lived, tall and grandeur in appearance. Being back to our old residence brought angst and memories we wanted to forget. However, all the things that surrounded us were reminders of our lives, of the past.



Life has their ups and downs but it is how you continue with the challenges given that makes you a survivor. We left the old, stayed in the new, lost what we established, and returned to where we started. However, it is the breathe of our everyday existence that tells us that it must go on, it must continue and that we learn from our mistakes and with the hope that we will once again see glory.

3 comments:

  1. Grand homecoming? I think we all have stories like this one. To me it will always be a memory worth keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,this is really inspiring Sir Jonathan. I guess everybody has his/her own share of good and bad memories and it's really up to us which ones should we keep. I have some bad memories that I would gladly love to forget, but I still hope for good things to come.
    Stay happy Sir, you know, your posts made me more human, always.
    P.S I miss reading your blog. I've been out and busy because of our LET Exam.

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our own family skeletons... They'll always be painful to face. They serve as unnecessary paperweights, weighing us down and preventing us from flying toward our goals. It's only up to us to struggle free. And if ever successful, just stare straight ahead and never look back.

    Some of us yearn to come home, while some are not, for no two families are the same.

    ReplyDelete