Wednesday, April 29

A Wake Up Call

I was to post this earlier but I guess it is too late now, so I am posting this as a tribute to my dad who passed away this morning around 10 (April 30, 2015).


It wasn't the same sentiment when he decided to leave the country. Stepping on that plane, with curiosity and excitement, gave none of the nostalgic sentiments associated with going away. Perhaps, the person who left had more anticipation of a new life rather than those who were left, as one bird in their nest, decided to fly away.


His decision to leave was triggered by his inability to make amends with his father. From childhood to adulthood, there were snippets of a difficult relationship. From abandoning the responsibility to pay for his tuition, to publicly humiliating his son in front of others because he did not make it to the honour roll. 

Physical abuse were a part of his growing. A fork flew towards him while they were eating because he did not answer as soon as he was asked. A towel was used to strangle him in one petty situation. Harsh words were thrown at him when he pursued acting and teaching as his career choices, and often forced into his head that those activities were not for men. 

That man, who was offered a job to leave the country, grabbed the opportunity to escape and escape he did, as he did not return anymore for good. For many years, he will pay a visit because of his mom and would often stay less than fifteen days in a year. Those visits became rarer when his mom passed away as there was no more reason to be back. 

When he heard of the many unfortunate events happening back home, he felt the same guilty feeling he had when he lost his mom. Though the childhood trials linger, there was a pinch of sadness and a change of heart until he received a message from his former student.

Natty had studied with him during Saturdays and they had formed a good bond between themselves. The girl was difficult to teach because she was stubborn though she was really, really bright. After more than two years, her dad was very sick so they decided to stop going to his house for extra tuition.

Natty: Hello teacher. I have bad news to tell you.

Teacher: What is it?

Natty: My dad passed away on March 2.

Teacher: I am sorry to hear this, my condolences.

Natty: But I have good news too! I passed the exam and 
I will attend a new school this coming school year.

Teacher: Good job! Do great things for your dad. He is looking after you.

Natty: My mum is crying after my dad passed away.

Teacher: I hope she will stay strong. Take care of her.

Natty: My dad had cancer and he ate medicine that 
can help him live without pain but it made his body unresponsive.
The psychiatrist told me that the last thing people can respond to is hearing so I told him that I love him so much at the hospital. Sometimes I cry when I miss him because it's like something disappeared from my life. When I miss him, I'll tell myself that he is at rest.

Teacher: Your dad leaving you at this very young age is painful but I know how strong you are. 

Natty: The psychiatrist told me that her father passed away about the same age as I. She said that her father had an accident and that she wasn't able to tell anything to her dad. She told me that I'm luckier than her that I can tell my father what I want to say.

Teacher: You know what I remember now. You can't lend me the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because it was from your dad so please keep that book as a memory of him. I know you treasure that book. 

Natty: I will. 

After that short chat conversation, the man looked from a distance and tears came running down his cheeks. It was a wake up call and it was time to make proper amends. Maybe a really positive and open conversation will do. But maybe, an upcoming visit will reign light and closure to those issues.

So I, will do.

Update: When my brother/sister asked me if there is something I wanted to say to my dad as he was in the emergency room, I sobbed and cried saying, "Please send my apologies." 

32 comments:

  1. My deepest condolences , Cher Jo... Are you coming home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Yes, I will, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Condolences.
    May his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taos-puso akong nakikiramay sa inyo, kaibigan...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ako po'y taos pusong nakikiramay sir Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart aches for you Jonathan. I wish you had some nice memories with him. Sending you hugs and may the good Lord strengthened you in this moment. There is a reason for everything and I pray that God will give us understanding of every difficult situarions we encounter in life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maraming salamat aboutambot at sa muli mong pagdalaw eh malungkot pang balita :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maraming salamat kaibigang Fiel. Kapit lang ako sa iyo kaibigan, dami na kasing mga pangyayari.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Ms. Joy,

    I still have some good memories of him and these I will keep. When I received a call this morning asking me what I should be telling my dad at the ICU, I started sobbing and said, "Sorry for everything!" I hope and pray that our relationship ended with a new beginning, and that of a union with Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From the Popovic family (Australia)

    Dear Jonathan,

    We were saddened today to hear the news of your fathers passing - our sincere condolences to you and your family. We send you lots of love, courage and prayers during this sad time and hope that being surrounded by family and friends brings you comfort.

    Best
    Bel and John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Jonathan,

    We send our condolences as you grieve the loss of your father. We well remember when your mother passed away. You have had a lot to deal with in a few years' time.

    We hope your travels to be with family will go smoothly, and that you will have many opportunities to remember your father in the company of loved ones.

    Please know you are in our prayers.

    Sincerely,
    Avery and Kentaro Udagawa

    ReplyDelete
  12. From the Trahan family (USA)

    Teacher Jonathan - we were so very sad to learn of your father's passing. We are saying prayers for you and your family and sending our love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From the Bourdeaux family,

    Dear Jonathan,
    I am very sorry to hear the news of your father. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if we can help you with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From the Kovitkanit families

    We are deeply sorry to hear about your loss. please accept my condolences. ( Ken and Capp)

    Sorry to hear that, please accept my condolences. ( Peta)

    ReplyDelete
  15. From the Budsaratragoon family,

    We would like to send our condolences to you. If anything we can support, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sir! reading this warmth my heart with inspiration. Although I do not have exactly the same experience with the man, I too had my own struggles, just like anybody else. I couldn't offer much help but I will pray and hope for better things to come with the student and the man :) A little courage and bravery is needed and understandingly, it isn't easy to forgive and forget everything that has brought so much pain. But sometimes, what hurts us most will helps us most in finding ourselves and filling the hole in our hearts.
    I'll be here to listen and support you Sir! best wishes to you :) I know everything will be alright. Stay strong :)

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Jon! I am sending my prayers, and my condolences to you and to the rest of your family.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was one of the best and honest comments I have read Cristine and I thank you for your words of wisdom and encouragement. May God bless you and shine forth happiness and kindness. The mere presence of some of the bloggers I made friends with is enough to liven up my spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Ms. Lili for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  20. From the Esquivel family

    So sorry to hear the sad news. Our deep condolences from the family. Big hug and let me know if you need something.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My deepest condolences to you and your family Cher Jo. Im still trying to embrace the truth that my Lolo had passed away too. I still cry everytime I remember and I guess that would not change.

    Many warm hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Cher Kat,

    First was Ms. Joy's sister, then your lolo and now my dad. They will be in heaven with the Lord so we need not be sad. For now, we need to cherish the good memories and embrace that life is indeed about birth, the beginning, and death, a union with the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My deepest condolences po sir Jo sa inyo at sa inyong pamilya.

    ReplyDelete
  24. nakakalungkot ang isipin an di mo na makakasama at makikita ang mahal mo. Pero minsan iniisip ko na lang na at least doon hindi na sila nakakaramdam ng hirap at sakit.

    Ingat ka sa pag luwas mo ng Pilipinas Sir Jo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Maraming salamat Froi. At dahil kahit na bago pa lang tayong magkakilala, bff na tayo :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Rix,

    Nandito na ako. Tama ka, suffering is when we are alive. At least ngayon, tapos na ang kanilang paghihirap. Losing a mom was hard enough and then my dad, but they are going to be together again in Heaven. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  27. From the Galecio family

    hello ticher mi mas sentidas condolencias por su padre.

    ReplyDelete
  28. From the Simon family

    I am so sorry for your loss. We are praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My deepest condolences, Jonathan. I actually cried (a bit) while I was reading your post. :( I REALLY can't imagine that situation, goodness, this must be really hard for you :(
    Stay strong, Jonathan. I know that you are stronger than you think. :) May God bless you :) amen.

    http://immekristiani.blogspot.com/
    From Bali, Indonesia - Imme

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Imme, thank you for the wonderful comments. I am a strong person but in some cases, do crumble. I am glad to have some blogger friends who supported me during these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete