Thursday, July 23

Summer Garden Project



As the grass died, a new form of life emerged.

There are news of water shortage since there is a scarcity of rain all over the country.  The lakes and ponds are drying and so does the water levels of both rivers and dams.  Since I am an avid gardener and water is the source of life for all my plants, I decided to make some changes to alleviate the need for more water.




Placing pots together for visual appeal.






I moved all the plants that needed sun in one spot of the garden.  As I spray the leaves and water them, the splashes will then be distributed to the surrounding pots as they are all placed side by side in a circular position.  The hanging ones were placed on top of trees so that when I water them, the  potted plants on the ground can catch the excess. 






My all time fave hanging plant.



I placed shredded coconut husks on top of each potted plants so as to absorb the water and retain the moisture.  I also moved all those plants that needed partial shades under towering plants so as to shield them from the burning sun. This then takes less effort for me to water them on a daily basis. I could do the caring every other day. 








A number of potted Frangipani lined up.


One of the things I learned from reading is the drought resistant factor of the Frangipani that's why I have started collecting Frangipani of different sizes and shapes.  I heart the stubby ones as they look more like bonsais to me.  These flowering plants need less water and they do bring the colour aspects when they bloom.  


As I move on with my landscaping and back breaking toil, I am always thankful that I have a yard to tend and a beauty that I can see everyday.  This is how part of my garden looks like and with the next few days, another part will become different and nicer. 


The front part of the garden, done!

14 comments:

  1. Hello sir Jo :)
    Isang matalinong pagpaplano, galing XD
    Lalo pa at may drought pala ngayon jan sa Thailand.
    Ang ganda ng garden nyo sir Jo at yung mga bahay sa background,
    mukhang nasa mayamang neighborhood kayo nakatira hehe!

    Dito sa Pinas, katatapos lng ng isang mahabang tag-araw.
    Tag-ulan na naman and as usual, marami na namang flooded areas lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sa comment. Kailangang magtipid sa tubig, baka after a few days, wala nang lumabas sa gripo. Patay ang mga halaman.
    When I went for a short trip, araw araw umuulan tapos pagdating ko ng Bangkok, mainit na naman. Yun bang naka jacket ka at makapal na kumot then pagdating mo sa sarili mong bahay, kulang na lang maghubad kang naglalakad. Hahaha!

    Mayaman sila, nakikisali lang ako. Sige ingat na lang kayo sa mga baha. Padala mo na lang dito.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your place! Looks homey and so probinsya feels! Be careful with your back though. You know what I mean :P hehehe

    This is something I really need to learn.

    Papa said its gonna be el nino by sept here daw. I dunno.

    I remember lola gave me the task of watering the plants every day but I never really got to find a favorite plant in the garden. Oh yes, there were daisies!!! I love daisies but they died :(

    I was talking to uncle over lunch and said that I wanna learn gardening, he said, "kawawang plants na aalagaan mo." Lols. So supportive diba. But he promised na bibili kami ng new plants. Hihi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I need my back for the trip. You can always get a couple of plants to take care of. Try getting the easy ones to care for. Flowering ones are quite difficult unless you have a sunny spot. I got the Frangipani for a reason since I will be away for quite some time. Hopefully, the rain will come to help the garden grow. If not, then I will be back with a garden full of brown. :(

    Your uncle is a funny person. Kung ako siya, I will say, "sayang ang pera! " ha,ha,ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a beautiful garden. I wish I had too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Izdiher, thank you so much. Even a small one in your window can be a garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi si Jo. anlalaki nga talaga ng mga paso mo.haha!

    kung malapit siguro ang bahay mo lagi akong manghihingi ng halaman. Pero pwede ba kaming bumisita jan?

    sa bahay naman pinagpaplanuhan ko naman yung mga itatanim kong ornamental at vegetable plants. patapos na kase yung ginagawang bahay at maganda yung hitik sa halaman yung paligid. Sa ngayon binubuhay ko muna si Panfilo (yung plant ko sa barko) naghihikahos kase bago siya ibigay sa akin. Ngayon me mga bud na sya.hehe. cheers sa ating me mga green thumb!hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow ang laki naman ng garden... you got so many space to work on.. hayst.. in my case.. hindi kasi ako green thumb usually, namamatay agad yung halaman pag ako nagtanim

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Froi. Sino naman yung kami? Bibisita lang pala so uupo sa sala, magkukuwentuhan, tapos paiinumin ng softdrinks, magpapaalam, ganun? Nagpunta para bumisita? Ha,ha,ha! Yaman lungs!

    Kidding aside, sureness, paki sabihan lang ako.

    Laki ng mga paso? Hindi pa napikturan ang likod bahay, giant ang mga nanduon. I got the plants when they were small, ngayon enormous na sila. Green thumb no! Green hands yes!

    Yun palang pagtatanim, hanapin mo kung nasaan ang araw at duon ka magtanim. Sunny spots are best for flowering plants and vegetables. So pag-uwi mo aralin mo ang position ng sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Froi Dencio and friends/blogger friends sir Jo.hehe Yung tipong pag pumuntang Thailand ba di kami maliligaw.haha!

      lagi naman pong nasisikatan ng araw yung backyard namin. yun nga lang, sa palibot din me mga puno ng niyog kaya di maiiwasang malaglagan ng bunga ng niyog ang mga pananim minsan.hehe

      salmat sa tips sir Jo!

      Delete
  10. @ Bluedreamer, haba naman ng name, lol! Yun na nga sa laki ng space, I need a month to finish one side kasi ang init talaga! Hindi ko rin alam na may green thumb pala ako. Pagkakain ko kasi ng wasabe, sabi ko, ay green na pala thumb ko! Ha,ha,ha.

    Iba na lang itanim mo, ngiti at tulong sa kapwa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see Mr. Froi, puwede naman kayong dumalaw ng Thailand, hindi ko naman kayo i re report sa immigration. You can stay at the house with conditions dahil kung sampu kayo, no po! I remember my cousin telling me to accomodate her friends from the church. Aba I found out later through our e-mails na 19 silang lahat, sabi ko, ano ako, hotel!

    If you want to stay sa city proper, I can find a nice place depending on your budget. Mayroon namang 500 baht up, I can always ask. Then sa weekend kayo sa house because malayo ako sa city, sayang ang cab fare. Kung weekend kasi, I could show you around.

    Happy planting this September!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahihi.. Blue na lang twag mo sakin

    ReplyDelete