Saturday, October 18

Comparisons (October 18, 2008)


As always, I took a cab to go back home but this time, the cab driver was a friendly fellow. Only 27 years of age, he has two children and the eldest is eight years of age. This means that he started to embrace a family life at a very early age of 20. His life story is similar to the many people I have met throughout my everyday trips around the city. His is a life of simplicity with adequate salary, three meals a day, and a home he can call his own.

He asked me about my life story and I mentioned to him a bit of my life, little parts and as I open up little bits and pieces it struck me that the man I am speaking with is far luckier than me for many reasons. As we exchange views about married life, singlehood, family life, work and aspirations I became more introspective.

The conversation went for quite some time because of the bad traffic. It wasn't a personal exchange of stories but it was an exchange of knowledge, experiences and directions in life. Two different lives, two different views and two different individuals. Comparisons were made but in the end, it was an awakening.






No comments:

Post a Comment