Wednesday, June 3

Remembering (June 03, 2009)


When I started teaching many years ago, my salary was the equivalent of 17 US dollars given on a monthly basis. I started as an assistant teacher working for half a day while studying in the late afternoon till nine in the evening for a Master degree. A common friend who became my teaching colleague works as a teacher so her salary is twice mine. She also works part-time.

One book that simply fascinated me for its story is The Giving Tree. I wrote a blog entry about this in the very beginning of my blogging days. Anyway, my colleague knew that I like the book so much that she gave it to me as a present. She stayed in our school for only a year but she finds it endearing to give me a book I love.

The book costs around 11 dollars at that time since it was a hardbound cover. She gave me a copy and wrote in her own words, “Here’s to one of my intelligent but weird friends. May you always be doing what makes you happy. Remember that the best things in life are the simple things in life.”

A mother of my student read this book today and it reminded me of the person who gave me this book. She used half of her monthly earnings to buy this magnificent book to give to me. She is a giving soul, someone to behold, but someone I let go.

I have no idea about her whereabouts. Though this incident of giving had transpired exactly 15 years ago, she will always be remembered and cherished.

6 comments:

  1. I'm planning to buy hardbound books for me to collect. It dawned to me: I love to read but i have no books of my own...hehe! I've never heard of the books you talk about here. But i doubt i can find one in our local bookstore. Yikes!

    ---
    jon: thanks, jon!

    [Our posts are like windows of what we see, we feel and of what we desire.]

    i agree...both consciously and unconsciously i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent read that book but if it has inspired some people then it must be something.

    I hope some people will give me something today. £50,000 will do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children's literature is immense in scope and I have a collection in my own library. It costs money but it's worth it. I have books published like 66 years ago that are classic stories.

    The sad fact about books is that they are expensive especially the hard bound ones. Also, the humidity in the air and the risk of book bugs or termites.

    But the satisfaction of reading and owning one classic book is just indescribable for me. I have one classic book that is 110 USD but is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris, the giving tree will probably think twice to share that amount of money.

    Come to think of it, I just realized that there is no pound sign on my computer keyboard, hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had this thought after reading this nice post:

    We go through life meeting a bunch of people. Some leave a permanent mark on us (regardless of the time spent knowing this person), like this friend of yours. I've a feeling you'll cross each other's paths again when you least expect it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Roy

    Thanks for bringing hope in. I also believe that there are people that crosses our lives that will stay, and remain friends for a long time.

    ReplyDelete