Saturday, October 3

A Compliment


Since the start of the school year this August, I had been unraveling the mysteries, the talents, the strengths and the weaknesses of my students ages threes and fours. I had someone very shy, someone very active, some lacking in self-confidence and some teeming with vibrant auras.

One new comer to our school started as a meek and shy girl. She had to find her way to the routines, the rules and the faces that surrounded her. Her initial reaction to attending my class was of hesitance as I was a new face to her. She managed to stay in my music and drama classes with some resistance but eventually learned that being in school is a lot of fun.

Yesterday while I was dismissing the children, the girl's dad came to me and spoke about her child. Then before ending our conversation, he mentioned something that melted my ever-so-sensitive heart. It made my day and will make my days to come. The compliment wasn't new but coming from a child who was refusing to attend school, having a very shy demeanour, and had never been seen to smile, the compliment was indeed a great one.


"She likes you a lot!" :)

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the greatest gift comes from the most unlikely person.

    You are blessed with a gift Phi Jon.

    You can reach out even to those with a walled up persona.

    Those kids are just so lucky to have you as part of their growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When one of my students opened up this blog, he asked me why your pic was that of a toilet bowl and I just smiled. I told him how creative you are and that the toilet bowl is meant, for most people, a place to think and meditate.

    I am thankful for the children that surrounds me an the way I am bless in finding ways to help them get out of their shells. Thank you for always being here.

    ReplyDelete