Sunday, January 6

The Art of the Brick

Speaking of pursuing your inner strength to actuality, I happened to be inspired by Nathan Sawaya, a lawyer by profession, when he exhibited his Art of the Brick in Taipei last year. I marvelled at each sculpture for he used only Lego bricks to create his masterpieces. Here are some of his work with quotes underneath. 


CRACKED: I spent over three weeks fabricating Cracked out of approximately 9,000 LEGO bricks.
Also, the sculpture depicts how I feel every morning (2008)

DISINTEGRATION: Beware the winds of life that nibble away a your sense of self.
Stay strong. (2008)

STAIRWAY: As humans, we scour our world for opportunities. Opportunities for success. Opportunities for happiness. But more often than not, we find those opportunities not in the world outside, but within ourselves. This sculpture was built from recycled Lego bricks that had been donated to me. (200)

YELLOW: Probably my best known piece. Yellow always draws a lot of attention on the gallery floor, from adults as well as children. Why? I think we grown-ups appreciate how cathartic 'opening oneself up to the world' can be for our souls. And the kids? Probably because yellow guts spilling onto the floor looks cool. For me, this piece is about the metamorphosis I have been through on my journeys. (2006)
Four inspiring pieces that makes me reflect and look at my present life. 

Am I cracked within and do those cracks show when I am with people or just when I am by myself? 

Does my being disintegrate as I battle life's journeys everyday, come rain and storm? 

Am I building a stairway for my own happiness and bridging gaps amongst my friends and family? 

Is this year the time for me to finally show my yellow by opening myself up to the world?

9 comments:

  1. ang galing ng artist na yan :)
    yung mga gawa niya ay nagbibigay talaga ng pagkakataon sa mga makakakita nito na mag-reflect sa mensahe na gustong iparating ng kanyang gawa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tama ka sa iyong tinuran at respetado ko ang kanyang mga eskultura. Marami pa siyang gawa at itoy ibabahagi ko sa susunod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... hanep... nakakabilib...

    galing! makabago... mapapaisip ka sa kaniyang mga obra...

    thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome. Nasa Singapore na ang exhibit na ito. Pag may nasaksihan ulit akong nakakabilib, share ko ulit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! i never though of lego this way!
    ang ganda sobra!
    kala ko dati pang nga childish na masterpiece lang yan
    pwede din pala sa gantong level

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I really appreciated these craftmanship. And the interpretations the sculptor put into it makes it more amazing. Regarding your questions, you yourself can answer those bro. And you're right, it can provoke someone to quickly reflect upon seeing and reading this. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @MeCoy- wala talagang hangganan ang creativity at lahot na ang munting mga bloke ng Lego ay naging tulay sa pagpapahayag ng saloobin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @jay- the questions bring out the relevance of my visit to the exhibit and I actually wondered how many in the convention centre were questioning like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Astig! galing naman.... ayos to!

    salamat sa pag share ^^

    ReplyDelete