Thursday, January 24

Along The Way

I hailed a cab and asked the driver to bring me to the weekend market. I was quiet at first since I already learned my lesson from taking cabs. However, the driver of the cab started to make conversations. I found it to be inviting so I just answered his questions while I asked for some. 

Some questions pertained to my whereabouts and my profession while I asked him the same. The man was actually an office worker who drives during the weekends as he is free. The cab belongs to his brother and he makes extra money driving the cab for him. 

The cab driver was a gentle person, not intimidating but very honest and polite with his words. I rarely meet people like him so it was a good ride until I reached my destination.

When I asked to be dropped at a certain point and handed him the money for the fare, he refused to accept the money saying, "Can I have your phone number instead?" I was surprised but since we were holding the traffic I gave mine so that he can leave. I also left the money on the seat.

He called me after some days and learned that he was also a graduate student from a university. He asked for my help in explaining a school homework and so I did.  He left after giving me a wai, a polite gesture often used to convey gratitude or respect. The next day, I found a small basket of flowers right in front of my door. I called him up and he said, "I made the flowers myself with straws and I am very glad to have met you. "

This happened many years ago. I don't know where he is now since I moved house. I lost his number as well. So when I took this small basket for cleaning, his quiet demeanour but strong presence suddenly became clear. I wish him all the best and I thank him for the brief but unforgettable friendship.

There are many small things in life that might not strike as great at that moment, but leaves an impact for the many years to come.

22 comments:

  1. that's one very sweet man,
    and a hard working to
    a prefect guy for girls maybe

    too bad you lost contact

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was and could be a good friend for all. My bad, losing friendships all the way, that is why I make sure I keep the new ones and treasure he best at this time.

      Delete
  2. i must say that he was so sweet and i love your last message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny if I interchange the words from your comment:

      The message is sweet and I love him nah! Lol!

      Delete
  3. wow, very nice gesture from a complete stranger :0 you must be a lucky guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just at the right moment. It was also a nice gesture from him to give me something.

      Delete
  4. hmmmnnn... great anecdote... I have been taking cab for years but have not experienced anything like that...

    he's so nice... hindi man humaba ang friendhip...great memory pa rin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to write all the great moments of friendship from people I had met through the years whether they are still in contact or not. He is really nice. I still have many tales to tell when it comes to cab riding but for some other posts.

      Delete
  5. that is so beautiful, teacher. this story of yours bring me a hearty smile of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mana for the visit. This wonderful story kept for many years brings wonder as to people's generosity and innate good qualities. It gives meaning to the word "friendship".

      Delete
  6. nice! napaka-rare naman ng event na ito sa buhay... may mga tao talaga na dumarating na lang sa atin, at sa oras na di na natin inaasahan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madami na akong pinalagpas na pagkakataon kaya natutunan ko nang pahalagahan ang mga taong aking nakikilala sa ngayon. Isa siyang leksyon ng buhay.

      Delete
  7. Oh I'm speechless at the end part when you reflect on thoughts.

    You are so right! Sometimes, we take for granted small things or gesture but when the person is gone or lost communication, that's when we begin to highlight how grand the gesture was.

    This is rare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rarity like this deserved to be remembered. Ang regrets are always at the end. So now, I will make it a point to highlight the everyday goodness I see in people.

      Delete
  8. Ang sweet nya! :) And ang bait to think that he's a stranger. May mga ganun ngang tao, napakainviting ng aura nila na para bang matagal mo na silang kakilala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have met so many and strangers as well that made me feel so good in many aspects. There was this man in the bus who started telling me his life stories while travelling from Angeles City to Manila. There was this man who invited me to his house to meet his daughter in Penang, Malaysia. There was this man who helped me find a colleague in Korat, Thailand. And a man I met, who was brutally honest, in Paris, France. Maybe next time, a fellow blogger who will invite me for lunch, lol!

      Delete
  9. Wow! What a story. Sometimes we can touch people's lives without even meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed and in the most unexpected ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Hanga ako sa story na to. He must e really a good man. By the way, I believed he saw and feels goodness in you too:)
    Thanks for visiting my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a very good man. It is very rare to see people give something in return. Small tokens are almost always forgotten but not in this case. Thanks for the visit as well.

      Delete