Monday, January 21

The Paper Crane

The Paper Crane is a short story written by Molly Bang that I am using this week for my reading and writing classes. 

Aside from the vivid illustrations and plot, there is one line in the story that strikes me well, to make it as my mantra. It says to enjoy what we have while we have it. 

The paper crane reminded me of my first few days in Thailand as a teacher. I went to my class, knowing no one around the school, to teach the summer programme. Every morning as I dropped my bag on the chair, a paper crane was on top of my desk. I kept on wondering who among the many people in school had been folding them for me until one morning, there was no longer any on my desk.

Later, I found out that the man behind the photocopying machine in the office was the one who folds the crane for me everyday. He used recycled paper and lovingly folds one to give the crane as a present. He left the school without any notice. I wasn't able to say thank you nor was able to find out his name. I regret the opportunity given to me to explore the kindness of the people around me. 

The cranes are still with me, all inside a plastic jar I kept and carried since I moved houses three times for the last 17 years. Whenever I see them in my library, I always smile knowing that many years ago, one soul had been very generous in his feelings and made my days brighter with his gifts. Wherever he may be, I have only but my gratitude.

Enjoy what is now: our life, our career, our family and friends. Be thankful for what we receive and be glad for all the blessings that come our way. And if you are reading this, thank you for your visit. God bless!

14 comments:

  1. i appreciate this post :)
    bigla rin ako napaisip sa mga taong di ko napapansin ay bumubuo rin pala ng aking araw :)
    salamat sa pagpapaalala!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sa araw araw nga, marami sila. Sa pagsakay ko ng taxi, o pagbili ng ulam, isang ngiti o kuwento mula sa kanila ay isang gantimpala. At salamat din sa pagbisita. Ano na ang e-mail add mo?

      Delete
  2. well thats the beauty of life,
    bawat tao ay may part sa buhay natin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo nga, parang kayo. Nagiiba ang pananaw ko sa buhay dahil sa inyong mga pagdalaw.
      "may tao pala sa Earth!" ha,ha,ha. Kidding aside, thank you to you.

      Delete
  3. Wow! This a meaningful post Sir Jonathan!

    It is true that there are times in our lives that we tend to forget or unintentionally ignore simple things or simple gestures of kindness because we are too consumed chasing for bigger things.

    And you're right that we need to enjoy and appreciate our live at present. Ika nga, live by the present or by the "now". Don't worry for the future because the future will take care of itself. Naks!

    But seriously, this simple but moving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take for granted a lot of things. The driver who picks me up everyday always have a smile. The nannies in school always have their morning greetings. The children around me are always laughing and smiling. Yet, I tend to complain about people when they should be complaining about me. There are moments then that wakes me up from this sleep, like the book, the paper cranes, the mugs I talked about in an earlier post. I am bless with a lot of things. I am surrounded by good people. I am visited by great writers like you.

      Delete
  4. i love this post... may mga tao talaga na hindi aware na sa small good deeds na nagagawa nila, super unforgettable and touching sa recipient...

    good soul talaga siya...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ang masakit hindi ko nasabing salamat at hindi ko na din matandaan ang kanyang anyo o pangalan. Isa na lang siyang super gandang alaala. Kaya nga kahit saan ako magtungo, baon ko na lang ang mga likhang papel na kanyang binigay sa akin.

      Delete
  5. Gusto ko nitong post, pang movies except hindi mo na talaga sya nakita o nakadaupang palad.

    "I regret the opportunity given to me to explore the kindness of the people around me." Totoo. Me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaya nga sa ngayong panahon, any opportunities to say thank you or I love you, I do it. Ayoko na ng regrets. Gusto ko ding malaman ng mga taong nasa paligid ko na mahal ko sila, though in different degrees, pero mahal pa din. So mahal ko na kayong limang commentators, ha,ha,ha.

      Delete
  6. enjoying wat you have and be contented .. sa moment na binigyan tayo ni God ng life thankful na tayo dun ... live life and enjoy to the fulest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems na you are always receiving gifts kahit nasaan ka:) you must be a wonderful person:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mukha siguro akong dukha, lol! Oo nga, para ngang kahit saan ako napadpad, may bitbit akong regalo from people.

      Delete