Wednesday, March 20

After the Winter

A man, born from a poor family, decided to leave his rustic background and abode. With nothing in his bag but a few items of clothing, he went to the city to seek his fortune.  Just like the same old tales of country guys who left the simplicity of provincial life, he ended finding not a decent source of living. Earning less than the minimum wage, he struggled to stay afloat with the stress of being fed three times a day, not to mention the difficulty of finding a roof over his head. He stayed with friends, sometimes, on the streets, as he had no where to rest his weary body.

Giving up was not in his vocabulary so he looked for other things to subsist until he met a fellow upcountry person who lured him to work at night in a not so decent establishment. His first day was filled with jitters as he wasn't even familiar that such a place exists. Boys and men, wearing skimpy underwear or swimsuits, gyrate on stage to the amusement of the gay crowd. That was just the beginning. Later, he was able to accept the fact that working in the bar was far better than having to sleep in the cold pavement of the streets or unsure of a safe roof for the night.

All the glitter and gold of money fade with the passing time. Age became an issue as being 27 was already past the prime of someone in such a profession. He wasn't of a great built so it was his youth he used to climb the social ladder of having something from being nothing. He left, knowing he will need to struggle again in life.

He turned into being a server in a local restaurant, then became a tuk-tuk driver before deciding to drive a cab since cab drivers get more money compared to the lowly motorized three wheeled motorbike. He owed money from people around him and he worked longer hours to be able to earn more for overdue payments from loan sharks. After less than two years, he succumbed to illness.

There was one good Samaritan who helped him moved on with life. This fellow was instrumental in his life change. Though financial help was limited, it was his presence and constant small talks of encouragement and emotional support that bound them together. When his health waned, this good hearted fellow was beside him, nursing him till he was good to let go.

One day, unexpectedly, a phone call was received. It was from this lovely man who with all the struggles faced and is facing made a moving remark. " I am so fortunate to have met you. I found your kindness and thought of using you, for my sake. Our friendship was solely based on your help and support but later it became more than just for me to survive. You gave me a reason to live for you selfishly give without asking for anything in return. After all these three years, I realized you are indeed a good friend and I would like to say that I love you not just as a friend but beyond that."

And then I cried.


To Aek Wanatit, wherever you are.

10 comments:

  1. Oh ehm gee... This is one of the best stories I've ever read! As in! Well written... Walang mahabang embellishment pero nasabi lahat! May puso!

    Galing! I wanna read more of this from you!

    Excuse me sa term, pero SHIT! Ang ganda ng pagkakasulat mo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoah! I never thought it was you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kailangan pa ng mas maraming Good Samaritans na gaya mo. Mabuhay ka, Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Senyor,

    Coming from you, I am deeply honoured. Thanks for the kind words and hopefully I will be able to write more substantial entries.

    Hello aboutambot,

    I was thinking of not writing this entry because it speaks about a part of me but I do miss doing great deeds to people. I try to be good to many esp. when I am back home: my orphanage visits and teachings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The twist is at the end. Well done.

    At first I thought that this was your story on how struggled on with life. Made wrong assumptions, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puwede din, Ishmael, that this is my life story. You gave me an idea, next will be a glimpse of my life as a growing kid in Manila.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fictional ba to? nice ng story mejo simple pero may kick!
    at gaining that compliment a honest guy like senyor! nice one parekoy.

    ganda ng pagkakasulat, ganda ng mga salita at pagkakagamit dito!
    nahiya naman akong magsulat dahil dito

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a true story MEcoy, and I am writing it for a specific purpose, to remember the person who became a part of my good life in here. Nakakatabang puso kapag mayroong mga bloggers na may magagandang komento tulad ninyo, isang karangalan.

    Bakit ka naman mahihiya? We all learn from each other and your presence is an addition to the many talents around here. Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kaka inspired naman po itong story nyo. Truly, may isa talagang tao na handang tumulong at hindi tayo iiwan sa panahon ng kagipitan.

    Friendship isn't about who came first and who you've known the longest, it's about who came and never left.

    Keep on inspiring your readers :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ganda naman ng sinabi mo fiel, those who came and never left. Sana nga may mga ganyan pang tao sa mundo. Parang fb lang, daming friends, pero walang genuine ones.

    ReplyDelete