Monday, November 2

Sangkhla Buri for the Second Time

A grueling seven hours ride just to see the famous Mon Bridge... again.  The bridge is the longest wooden bridge in Thailand and was built for mobility purposes between the people of Sangkhla Buri and the Mon Villagers.  Cars and trucks were no longer allowed to pass but the bridge still ranks as a famous place to visit for photo opportunities, sunset and sunrise, as well as for bathing.

Mon Bridge Entrance
No entrance fee was asked but there were donation boxes at each end of the bridge. There were also some photographers willing to take your photo and frame it for a fee. 

A bridge made entirely of wood.

Longest walking bridge ever!
There were a lot of people since it was a Thai holiday when I was there.  The first time I went  was a weekday and it was almost empty. 


The temporary bridge at 450 metres.
The second bridge that runs parallel to the upper one was built to enable locals and visitors to cross the river. It was intended as a temporary bridge after the original bridge was washed away by a storm. 

Throngs of Local Tourists
More than 500 residents spent six days building the floating bridge after the collapse of the Mon one.  Expected to be done in two to three weeks, the people of the two villages, Thai and ethnic Mon people, showed they were a united community and finished the job in record time. 

Swimmers!

High Jumpers!



Picture Perfect! 

Will I go back for the third time?  

Yes, I will! 

Probably a refreshing swim is what I need.

5 comments:

  1. Ohh... I suddenly remember that little jump I did at the Barracuda Lake in Coron!

    There's a lot to see in Thailand. I hope to be able to visit too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was astonished to see the people jumping as it was really high. Anyway, please feel free to visit. Thanks for visiting my blog once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course, i have a lot of goodreads here and you are a wonderful person :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I hardly know Thailand that well compared to you.
    All my maternal grandpa's side came from Samutprakarn while my grandma's from Songkhla province. No one ever told me about this long interesting wooden bridge. I wonder if you also jumped into the waters?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't since I do not know it was allowed. I was fascinated how the men were so ecstatic doing the jumps so I took some photos. Sangklaburi is one of my fave places to visit. This was my second time and staying in one of the many resthouses in there is pure bliss. Cool climate and good food, nothing to ask for.

    ReplyDelete