Friday, November 20

Three Christmases

Christmas is a season of joy for many but I know of some people who find this holiday of cheers a normal, regular day for them.  Not for me!  Though I stopped decorating the house like I used to, blame it to my laziness to put them away later, I still find some time to put a few.

I don't usually walk inside malls as I have no intention of doing any shopping. However, the festivities inside the malls are the first indication that Christmas is arriving.  I don't hear any jingle bells or sleigh ride songs as this is predominantly a Buddhist country but mind you, come December, the air will be filled with the holiday songs.

This Christmas, I took time to re-read the story of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens and thought of writing a blog post about Christmas Past, Christmas Present and Christmas Future.  They wouldn't be in any way a written post about regrets, aspirations and goals or even ghosts, but merely a summary of my Christmas in three time periods.

Since we were never rich, I get my Christmas presents from two people every year when I was young.  My aunt would usually give us a present each, shipped from her hometown that we get to open on the eve of Christmas.  A godmother from abroad would send me a small package during this special holiday and I often get toys from her. We would have a small gathering of sort at home with family members and relatives to celebrate the holiday as well as my mum's birthday which also falls on the 25th. This was Christmas Past.


I celebrate Christmas by putting up small decors without the big tree.  I stay home during the break as there is nothing much to do. I believe that a visit to the church and temple suffice the celebration I intend to do.  I don't even go out for dinner or get-togethers as most of the families I know are also away for the holidays.  I have not been going 'home' since my mum's demise.  This is Christmas present. 



I will probably be the recluse though not the scrooge for the next 'few' Christmases I will be experiencing.  No celebrations of grandeur will ever replace the joy of family get togethers and filial relations of Christmas Past.  It will then be a more quiet and subtle way of celebrating at home, and in my heart. This will be Christmas Yet to Come.

Though I long for Christmas Past, it can never come back but the vibrant and vivid memories linger throughout.  Though I don't see Christmas Present as joyous, I still find solace in the peacefulness it brings to men's hearts and mine. Though I still have to see Christmas Future, it wouldn't be bleak because it is my most awaited time of the year, thus I still get excited. 

All then is to be merry and bright this coming Christmas holidays.  For now, happy weekend!

12 comments:

  1. I love Christmas too. It's my favorite time of the year. This time I have decided to but a new Christmas tree and put up decorations, despite of the "advisory" given to us by our church bishop (they say it is the practice of the pagans so we're not supposed to use them, to which I say 'that's holiday bullshit'.

    It's getting colder now here. I hope this Christmas gets better than last year's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Sir Jo :)
    Buti nga kayo meron Christmas decors kahit papaano.
    Dito samen, ilang years nang di nakasanayan na maglagay ng kahit isang Parol man lang.
    Ang mga bata talaga ang mas nag-e-enjoy tuwing Pasko.
    Tayong mga adults, parang normal days na lng sa atin yan na mabilis lilipas hehe.

    Anyways, Maligayang Pasko sa inyo jan sir Jo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Christmas tree, as ever green, is a symbol of growth and hope. The star on top represents the same star that guided the Kings to find Jesus. Besides, the tree becomes a family gathering when we put them up. I love Christmas trees not because of their glitters and gold but because they remind me of the most special day of the year. So I will not be listening to your 'church bishop as well, he,he,he.

    I envy you with the cold, hopefully we get some in here as well. It's almost the end of November and it is still HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ang aga naman Fiel, happy weekend muna!

    Aanhin ko naman ang mga decors kung sa Pasko eh nag iisa rin ako? I cherish the Christmases of the past, where I get to see my family, relatives and closest friends. Kahit na maging bata ako ulit, basta ba mapangiti man lanmang ako ngayong Pasko.
    Someone already made a schedule of tutorials for me this holidays so Pasko for me becomes an ordinary day. I will make it special, bahala na how, but I will.

    I anticipate Christmas kasi siguro it is part of my school year as a break from school. Mas prominente ang okasyon kasi nga walang pasok kaya napaka nostalgic kapag nag-iisa sa bahay.

    Anyway, Maligayang pasko na rin sa iyo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your Christmas is year is somehow different in a good way Sir! :)
    I am glad that you find peace during the Christmas season!

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will make it a different celebration but still the meaning of Christmas is still intact. I am hoping to find a more stable peace and maybe the holidays can give me some. Have a great weekend Cristine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baka apat lang din ulit kami na magpapasko dito sa bahay - ako, si kapatid, my mom and my dad lol. Usually, tuwing new year's eve lang din kami nagsasama-sama ng buo (kasama yung isa ko lang ate and her family). And nakaka-miss din ang 'christmas past' kasi bata pa tayo noon at parang ang saya-saya talaga pag christmas :)

    Kamusta? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do miss the past Christmases kasi nga they were the happiest. Maliit na laruan, sampung piso, oks na tayo. Yang apat na yan, good number at sure ako, sa pagdaan ng panahon, darami yan dahil magkakaroon pa kayo ng family ng kapatid mo.

    Mabuti naman sila, ha,ha,ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nasasabi ko na ngayong, para lang sa mga bata ang Pasko :'(

    I keep telling my friends and my sibs, biglang di ko na ramdam ang pasko. As early as September, I used to have a very busy sched for choir practices for Christmas cantata... start writing and buying for gifts on my list.... dividing the days of december to make time for friends, papa's bday, visit to bicol and things i want for myself. But for now, Im stucked at home and I just dont seem to care.

    Yeah, Christmas Past will is the best Christmas of all. I miss childhood, being an adult is hard. It's kinda hard to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dilemma of getting old, reminsicing past Christmases and how we get to be happy for small things.

    You can still do them but I guess work eats up most of your time.

    Yes, being an adult is hard but we can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh well, you can move on and make new Christmas parties with friends today.
    I am sure that Soi Nana would be a jolly merry making haven with lots of booze & fun watching people. Come to KL and let me be your Santa Claus!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha, I have never been to Nana but have been to Patpong. But on Christmas Eve or Day, I prefer to attend mass at the church and then a visit to the Thai and Chinese temples. A trip to KL would be fun so I get to see four other good friends of mine.

    ReplyDelete